73 Gold Duster Semi retro budget build. Project BROKE.

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Okay, since I have had a few questions about how my Gold Duster is coming along and since I just sold my 340 car, I decided to make a thread on the Gold Duster.

April 26,2009
I am it is the day before my birthday and I feel like scouting cars. So I drive up into Idaho and find several including the Gold Duster. It is a slant six auto car, but they say it runs and the price was right. $375. I bought it from the original owners grand son. The car has some cancer in the rear and a few other places, but overall isn't in bad shape.
4-12-09032.jpg

4-12-09033.jpg

4-12-09034.jpg

Bringing it home on the 30'th. Me and Dustin (hang10Dustin) went and got it. I drove it on the trailer, but the brakes didn't work.
4-12-09119.jpg

4-12-09121.jpg

The assessment.
4-12-09122.jpg

4-12-09123.jpg

4-12-09124.jpg

4-12-09135.jpg

4-12-09134.jpg

4-12-09132.jpg

4-12-09127.jpg

The initial clean up.
4-12-09130.jpg

4-12-09131.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Bleeding the brakes. Found out the Master Cylinder was bad. Thanks to John (Badart) I got one and threw it in.
Picture001.jpg

Putting it together for the first time.
Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture033.jpg

It sit way to low with the 16" wheels. It looked good. but I couldn't even steer it.
Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

After the shakles and turning up the T-bars.
Picture038.jpg

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

I decided to buff it to see what it would look like.
Picture053.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture058.jpg

A few more random pics from before the explosion.
Picture095.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture162.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Picture150.jpg

I painted the V21 hood treatment on it.
Duster5-23-092.jpg

Duster5-23-093.jpg

Duster5-23-091.jpg

Not to long after these pics, I blew up the slant six. I had family in town and didn't have time to put the new wat pump on myself. I had a friend do it and he messed it up. The end result was a blown up slant six.

Getting prepped for a triple horsepower surgery.
4-12-09138.jpg

4-12-09140.jpg

4-12-09141.jpg

4-12-09145.jpg

4-12-09146.jpg

4-12-09148.jpg

4-12-09160.jpg

4-12-09163.jpg

4-12-09168.jpg

Finally got a tuff wheel, and a sweet vintage tach thanks to retsud043.
Picture055.jpg

The K-frame swap. Much easier than I expected.
Picture199.jpg

Picture198.jpg

The trunk full of goodies thanks to retsud043, motopsycho, Bill Dedman, and other local people.
Picture078.jpg

Crazy sky.
Picture077.jpg

Here at my house awaiting the transplant.
FreeWheelsthankstotheCARSprogram-4.jpg

FreeWheelsthankstotheCARSprogram-1.jpg

Looking good Jeremy. When is the 360 going in? Still using the motor with J-heads?

Yep. I am still using the 71 360. I can't wait to get it in, but time and money are real tight right now. I am working a deal for my exhaust. If I get another friends 69 Dart sold, I get a full exhaust from Hawkers A1 Auto. Here are a few more pics. I mocked up the engine with some of my parts. It looks bad @$$.
Moredusterstuff9-25-09007.jpg

Moredusterstuff9-25-09006.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Moredusterstuff9-25-09003.jpg

3:91 sure grip.
Moredusterstuff9-25-09004.jpg

Hows your Dart coming. Have you had anytime to work on it?

Haven't had much time to work on the Dart. I have been working on getting my yard done and working on getting my sis-in-law's pos car running. As soon as it starts snowing I will have no excuse to not be in the garage. I will be driving it next spring. I can't wait.

I will be going next spring too. Sounds like we need to have a little back road drag race. :)

I can't wait. Good thing we have long winters here, because I have so much work to do on the car.

As do I. Do you still have your Duster? I need to make my way out there one of these next days.

Come in the chat room if you have a minute

Good progress so far Jeremy. It's kinda funny, I bought my Duster from the original owner's grandson too!

Hey everyone. Not a whole lot to update. I got a few new parts for her including a Double Roller timing chain from Rocket. I also picked up a set of 10" wide slots and now would like to find a front set of 15x7's. I have a set, but the lug holes are way bigger than normal. Maybe someone here knows if where I can get lugs that are bigger. Right now, I am chasing the almighty dollar and haven't had much chance to work on it. Hopefully mid November I can get some stuff done. I need to get a stall converter now too. I am buying a Voodoo cam from Stroked340. Hopefully with my set up. I will be running somewhere in the 12's. But, I still want the car to be a Street Car. I also need to get a mild shift kit. Pettyblue recommended a trans2go kit. So I am going to be looking into that. I think this spring. I am going to sand it down and rattle bomb it primer gray. Give it the dazed and confused look. Well, here's a pic with the new slots on the back. I need to polish them up still, but it gives you the idea.

7719_1252140901125_1157592751_30770.jpg

Keep chasing the all mighty dolor and get ready for a good time working on a very cool Snake Skin Gold duster you stole for $375 :cheers:
I sure am enjoying your build and the pictures are great =P~
Just look at those mountains in the back ground
That is a Snake Skin top on it isn't it ?
Very nice Duster 8)8)8)

Thanks Memike. Shes a work in progress. I can't wait to get her out and driving. Someday I hope.

360002.jpg

Well, I have some good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad.
I decided to pull the trans off of the 360 so that I could get ready to install a 2400 stall. Well, I found out that the engine was froze up. Even though it has been covered and in a shed since the day we pulled it out of the running driving car they were in. Number two and three were covered with crap. It was froze pretty solid (will take pics tonight). So I decided that I will build a stroker out of it. That will take allot more time and money. So it will be a wile before the 360 is done and in.

The good.
I picked up a 69 Coronet 440 for a friend. He doesn't want the engine. It is a clean second owner car with 70K orig miles. The engine is a 318 with a 904 trans. I am getting the engine and trans out of that car and I am going to drop them in the Duster for the time being. That way I can still drive it this spring. I am really planning on driving it to MATS this spring. I think it will be fun just to drive.

I guess I just have to come up with the money for a few more parts. Anyone want to donate? :) lol

You can't see the stuff from the pistons as we cleaned them up and we go it to turn. There is still some crud on the heads though. If anyone wants a set of J heads. Let me know. We can work something out. This was a great running engine. It used to power a sweet fury and I have pics of it in action.
LasVegas038.jpg

LasVegas039.jpg

LasVegas040.jpg

LasVegas042.jpg

The Fury
l_d97b09a68c6c4e2ebe21942c8fa2e3e9.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Looks good. What size tires did you have on it with those NASCAR wheels?
C

those nascar wheels looked kinda sick, but i think ur car needs to be lower to rock em ;P I have like... the same exact gold duster as you haha but mine was painted fire red with gold flake (not by me)

C, I don't remember what size they were. I have it wrote down and will look tomorrow.

John, not a big deal. Now I have to build a stroker I guess. Darn it :)

Mike, It's coming along. I hope to pull my 318 out of the other car next weekend and would like to have the car driving by thanksgiving. Not sure if that will happen though.

Swinger, the wheels did look cool, but the car sit to high. The tires rubbed bad and I really didn't like the look on that car. Thats cool that you have a gold duster too. I just sold my 340 4spd car and kept the gold duster. I must be sick.

I have 15x8.5" slots in the back and those even rub! I have some nice gashes in new tires to prove it! (Piss me off!)

If you get those 10" wide rims to work without rubbing, let me know how. I have air shocks too. Old school, I know.

I am planning on using some stiff springs with air shocks. I am also going to put a rear sway bar when money allows. Hopefully, that will help a ton. I will let you know.

-
Back