73 Rear window gasket?

-

Nick Mailloux

Reaction score
Hello! Drove my car through a torrential downpour today(first time its rained since I got it). It started raining inside the car from the back window. The car is a 73 dart swinger that was originally a vinyl top car. The previous owner removed it it and all the trim to make it a non vinyl top car. If I replace the rear gasket do I have to still use the vinyl top style gasket or can I use the ordinary gasket? I guess what im asking is, is there any difference between the two styles in the glass or is it just the gasket and trim?

Last edited:
When the window comes out, you my find rust holes that need attention, it is pretty common especially at the lower corners.

Best of luck!

Hello! Drove my car through a torrential downpour today(first time its rained since I got it). It started raining inside the car from the back window. The car is a 73 dart swinger that was originally a vinyl top car. The previous owner removed it it and all the trim to make it a non vinyl top car. If I replace the rear gasket do I have to still use the vinyl top style gasket or can I use the ordinary gasket? I guess what im asking is, is there any difference between the two styles in the glass or is it just the gasket and trim?
I've never heard of any different window for a vinyl top than a hardtop? I think it's just gasket and trim.

I've never heard of any different window for a vinyl top than a hardtop? I think it's just gasket and trim.
So since my car has had the vinyl top removed, I should be able to remove the old vinyl top style gasket and use the standard one? Thats exactly what I needed to know.

So when you read this back to yourself do you see the answer?
No because I dont know if the clips on the body are the same for the two different styles of trim. On my car theirs a gap and metal clips around the the outside edge of the window. Im trying to figure out if thats the same regardless of the car being vinyl or not.

uioqvcqruazGgFkrammU8MQyDFZfr8zhfV6NPYCdK6_euwBkyIXc9i_zda-DJ5ehPZR-StCqWV7lnOWKw8=w989-h1318-no.jpg

There looks like there room for the other gasket, but I definitely dont wanna drop 180 bucks and have it not work.

I don't think those clips have anything to do with the vinyl top. All cars had the trim around the window (see here: http://www.valiant.org/photos/dart/1970-swinger.jpg). I'm fairly certain those clips are all the same since the trim was the same design for all the cars. I'm guessing the only difference is that the clips were installed over the vinyl, which would necessitate a thinner gasket. They're still screwed into the roof itself, not the gasket, and they are used to attach the same trim, so I can't think how they'd be any different.

Go with non vinyl gasket and use a butyl caulk from the picture it looks like it has been leaking for some time
Sweet! Your confidence has persuaded me lol. So the non vinyl style and some 3m butyl sealent should do? I'll order that up and I'll pull the window and do any repairs I need to first. It has been leaking for God knows how long, I feel like I rescued the car from someone that didn't know what they were doing. I've only had it a month or so now.

-
Back