73 steel rim question.

-

Arron tate

T B L
Reaction score
Hello fellow A body members.
I have a 1973 340 duster that has manual front disk brakes and rear drums.
The car came sporting stock steel rims and dog dish red stripe hubcaps.
The rims are as follows
4 1/2 bolt pattern
14 x 4 1/2
3 ¾ offset
2 3/4” center hole
4 Bump hubcap mounting.
Mounted tires are BF Goodrich radial TA 215 R 70 14 96S M+S
Please note the tire on the rim is the spare tire and not what is on the car now.
Not having any history on the car (no ID tag under the hood) I am in need of your help in trying to identify what year the rims are and if they could have come from the factory on a 1973 340 duster.
If the rims did not come on this car can you please identify what year, make and model they would be from?
If this is not the correct rim on the car then what size rim should be on the car keeping in mind that the car is a 14" rim with an 4 1/2 bolt pattern?
Where could I find the correct set then?
I also not sure if the car came with front disks or has been upgraded to this combo.
I’m trying to keep the stock look on this project.
I am also looking to buy a set of 4 if anyone out there has a set.
Thanks in advance

bead.jpg

Bolt pattern.jpg

center hole.jpg

Valve stem 1.jpg

valve stem 2.jpg

Rim 2.JPG

Rim 1.JPG

Last edited:
Look for a seven digit part number near the valve stem for starters.

Wheel width is also measured inside from bead to bead with the tire off, how did you measure?

Same for the bolt pattern, how did you measure it?

there is no 4-1/4 bolt pattern.....4" or 4-1/2"....you must be measuring wrong....

And no 340 car ever came with wheels that narrow; 5.5s would be the smallest (and that was in 1970, with E70-14s, lol).
But in all fairness, I wouldn't run anything that narrow on the front of a 340 car.It's just way too easy to wipe out when gassing it in a corner.

I run 235s on 7.5s on the front and it is just barely adequate on the street.

Last edited:
i run 3 1/2 cookie cutters on the front of my 340 duster and 10s on the back! ease threw the curves!! was a straight line car i daily drove for 9 years, not very practical but sure was fun! a bit sketchy in any kinda weather!!

The disks would have been factory on a ‘73 340. All the V8 cars from 73+ came with disks standard.

-
Back