74 Dart 360 Sport

-
Welp here is the first test fits I did a bit of driving will work out well. I need to change the seat location in the track I believe I can move it back a bit more. In the picture that's all the way forward its electric ya know cuz this little car needs that lol for the driver of course. It is so comfortable I can't stress enough how much better this is! The seats were 85 dollars front and back!

View attachment 1716219299

View attachment 1716219300

View attachment 1716219301

Thanks! How well does it clear the headliner?

Thanks! How well does it clear the headliner?
I will measure shortly and post a picture. They are taller seats compared to bench, factory or sport bucket or shorty bucket. They were not 500-1000 for just the seats and some cheap knock off not matching the car. I have 85 dollars in the seats and some gas/mig time and of course engineering it.

Lol I'm not going to say it's perfect yet we're closer I am becoming my own worst critic. Local guys that own shops looked at it said you did it. Couple little brackets they pointed out for the holes and plates which I already planned to do was mentioned. Least they don't grone dear gawd what has Vince thought up now hahahah. Others may say you cut up the car well it's just a little A body and I am making it looking pretty ground down seam sealer and will undercoat and paint it.

Besides the obvious this old bench was killing my back and I saw some rust I didnt know about metal thinner than it appeared. I repaired it all with 14 guage so if I did again and I had car 90 percent tore down I would have had it blasted and whole floor pan and the rocker repair fixed up with a full trunk pan even to though old repaired fine. I also would have done a flat floor pans and conversion to a QA1 coil over rack. I wanted the car on the road and my impatient self got the better of me. Sometimes I forget this little car came from Rochester New York and then moved 45 miles from Canada for its next life in New Baltimore Michigan.

Today's plan is the passenger seat and wire up the electric seat two wires what could go wrong right wink! FYI I think Challenger seat is little wider and bigger bolster could have its own issues I would measure this seat cushion bottom was 19 inches each bench split is 25 wide total of 50 inches. Dion I know you like a console something to consider more narrow the seat the better the console is. Seat top is six inches from headliner.

IMG20240310084109.jpg

IMG20240310084023.jpg

IMG20240310084016.jpg

Got the seats finalized and have some new pictures I moved it over 2 inches and back one from bench seat mount centered on steering wheel perfectly. I'm little more room on the headliner. You do need to remove that bench seat mount for the seat controls and helps the seat mount flatter and looks more finished. I have to put a plate or 1/8 thick washer welded in for strength then they are done! This is really not that hard and should be a how to article you don't need to go nuts buying adapters just good basic welding and measuring skills. Make sure you reinforce the floors where you weld in 14 gauge or a 1/8 plate. Rusted through flooring replace the section or whole pan need be for your safety.

IMG20240311211855.jpg

IMG20240311211838.jpg

IMG20240311211821.jpg

IMG20240311211805.jpg

IMG20240312121746.jpg

IMG20240312121732.jpg

Took a bit but made own frame connectors need to weld in now. Then I can pull transmission and install the flywheel for the ZF. I have a hoop combo by from Hooker Blackheart. It replaces the loop support for torsion bar upper support.

Hooker BlackHeart BHS578 Hooker Blackheart Transmission Crossmember Hoop

Supposedly this allows me to not have to cut up the entire tunnel. You do have to remove some mounts outside of transmission not used. This is why I did the frame connectors first for the support. I will have the lower support in when I take out the top piece. For sure front seal and real seal were going on this 727. I probably could have put in new seals before when engine was out but I didn't want any part of what it had to offer. I hated how the three speed drove shifted and there noisy when old and tired. It needs a lot of work old post you will see the steel not shavings I found, not a lot but enough. I will have many parts up for sale soon.

Pully assembly v belt with plates and bolts

1587 casting heads for E58 coded car has larger intake valves

26 inch small block radiator

727A transmission works need rebuild and seals

IMG20240317193834.jpg

IMG20240317193642.jpg

One frame connector down and one to go. What a huge difference just closing door wow you tell shocked by that.

IMG20240324125659.jpg

IMG20240324125644.jpg

IMG20240324125638.jpg

IMG20240324124832.jpg

IMG20240324124809.jpg

IMG20240324124759.jpg

2nd frame connector is in the car. We're it not for taking out the old gas line would have been easy. I fabbed this one up in a couple hours. Lot cleaner than the first I think. I also itemized the cost for the total of ZF transmission kit. You could do it cheaper I didnt cheap out or part hunt I went all new except the transmission was like new at a 2020 with 26000 on it. Just over 5000 and counting. Car over all somewhere north of 25000. No you can't buy for ten or 15 and have it all new and nice. I don't believe you hahaha.

IMG20240402202534.jpg

IMG20240402202518.jpg

IMG20240402202502.jpg

IMG20240402202449.jpg

IMG_20240403_111942_01.jpg

Pulled the 727 trans tonight and will get new upper cross member hoop in and we'll see what else needs to be done to fit the ZF. I will take pictures of any mods as we do them. Idea here is keep torsion suspension can be done and fit the transmission and have the proper degree angle. I'll mark off gas pedal as well important it is encroached upon. I got a guy that rebuilt hundreds of these as he is doing ZF on his 70 Mustang as well. So we're teaming up to get these done.

Have you already purchased the controller? I have read good reviews about the TurboLamik from guys using them as standalone controllers swapping into other cars.

It requires modification to the valve body.

Have you already purchased the controller? I have read good reviews about the TurboLamik from guys using them as standalone controllers swapping into other cars.

It requires modification to the valve body.
I purchased the Sound German Automotive controller 1032.00 delivered to door. Lots of cars have been completed with Russell Drake's unit with good results. These are daily drivers done at home in most cases. The Lamik unit is very very expensive and considering it's not turn key and requires modifications to transmission I passed it up. There is a group for the swaps on Facebook all these builds are the Sound German unit. I did a lot of reading up and everything on the Lamik site was very over priced in my opinion. Also seems legit garage had some nice pieces not bad prices.
Sound German Automotive

considering cost of swap this is a big investment. They are selling brand new ZF 8HP70 for 15000.00. Insane new I got mine for 1500 with 26000 miles from a 2020 Scat pack 6.4 car. I mean this is not turn key and I'm about to slice and dice my tunnel a bit. I'm sure I will be happy I have a lot of interest from folks and wow all that old garbage gone from 727 is welcome as with long tube headers and torsion bars this has no room under there. This transmission is big lol but not much heavier than a 727a.

I purchased the Sound German Automotive controller 1032.00 delivered to door. Lots of cars have been completed with Russell Drake's unit with good results. These are daily drivers done at home in most cases. The Lamik unit is very very expensive and considering it's not turn key and requires modifications to transmission I passed it up. There is a group for the swaps on Facebook all these builds are the Sound German unit. I did a lot of reading up and everything on the Lamik site was very over priced in my opinion. Also seems legit garage had some nice pieces not bad prices.
Sound German Automotive

considering cost of swap this is a big investment. They are selling brand new ZF 8HP70 for 15000.00. Insane new I got mine for 1500 with 26000 miles from a 2020 Scat pack 6.4 car. I mean this is not turn key and I'm about to slice and dice my tunnel a bit. I'm sure I will be happy I have a lot of interest from folks and wow all that old garbage gone from 727 is welcome as with long tube headers and torsion bars this has no room under there. This transmission is big lol but not much heavier than a 727a.
all you need now is paddle shifters!

just a $550 option…

all you need now is paddle shifters!

just a $550 option…
I did the standard shifter that has the ability to be shifted up or down in the stick. Still it was 580 shipped but it is all brand new. This is not a cheap swap not going there lol. It is reliable though and for what an auto can do not sure you could do much better for a new transmission and modern. The Turbo Lamik controller is more money that gets you an electronic controllable clutch option and trans brake. That was a bit much to me but the drag racing crowd and BMW/GTR swap folks love it I'm sure. Now the argument from pals is just drop in the Hemi lol we'll see and a coil over cuz it's my money they say jerks lmao. I like my 360 and I love the sound of it and if it performs like I think it will I'm all set.

Coming along let me explain what's about to happen here.

1. Trim the upper underside tunnel where firewall and floor meet. This hangs down about an inch gotta go. Weld that and grind smooth.

2. Lift tunnel up and out to accommodate the ZF. It's not a very big tunnel and we're talking about a 30 inch transmission end to end. Meat of it is 22 inches long well round up to 24 give a little more room back forth so we can stab it to engine. I have a template from a Challenger silencer tunnel cover will be huge help in shape and dimensions I need.

3. Replace the upper transmission cross member hoop with Hooker Blackheart unit. Will have to cut this in half and add an inch to it as it's little tight back if transmission it's the Nag1 mount.

4. Set transmission in place bolted to SB with jack underneath and finish up the lower mount. Will have to drill the B body 8hp70 mount and inch forward as it sits back just a hair more.

5. I'm sure I will have some adjustments to make but I have measured like crazy this will work just slightly different than the nag.

IMG20240406123715.jpg

IMG20240406123708.jpg

IMG20240406123652.jpg

IMG20240406122159.jpg

IMG_20240407_125327_01.jpg

IMG_20240407_125321_01.jpg

IMG_20240407_125318_01.jpg

Last edited:
I did the standard shifter that has the ability to be shifted up or down in the stick. Still it was 580 shipped but it is all brand new. This is not a cheap swap not going there lol. It is reliable though and for what an auto can do not sure you could do much better for a new transmission and modern. The Turbo Lamik controller is more money that gets you an electronic controllable clutch option and trans brake. That was a bit much to me but the drag racing crowd and BMW/GTR swap folks love it I'm sure. Now the argument from pals is just drop in the Hemi lol we'll see and a coil over cuz it's my money they say jerks lmao. I like my 360 and I love the sound of it and if it performs like I think it will I'm all set.

What does that one look like, curious. I assume you will adapt the console or build one for it.

I have a 2005 1500 with an Ecodiesel and the 8 speed auto. It has the rotary knob shifter with the +/- buttons on the steering wheel. I like the idea of the shifter, but would have been cool with the idea of the rotary knob on the dash and paddle shifters even without a console. Lot to contemplate, so many different ways to do this! The transmission is awesome.

Here is a picture of the Dodge shifter. Pretty standard on the console cars versus the turn dial. This flips over to side and then you shift like a manual it's 8 gears and ZF shift is 150ms. I doubt other than maybe a road course or parking lot fun/drag race that you would use this. I have had 5 cars with this style it's familiar to me. Pretty sure they have an aftermarket knob top for it or will eventually.

Here is the upper hoop removed and I had zero movement cross brace lines right up no fear the hoop replacement is going back in will not stay this way. Then comes the tunnel mods. FYI this was not even touching if you look closely other pictures since I stripped floor and sprayed it freaking moved. I am glad I am doing this my car was twisting no doubt in my mind. Noticed other things and was told that's the cause higher HP I also snapped to rear shocks at around 5 rpm 1st to second. I shared those older post thought oh bad shock nah other bad things. That will also be addressed before it breaks a drivers leaf spring again as this car has before I received the car that way.....

IMG20240408091924.jpg

IMG20240408082744.jpg

Floor modification coming along nicely and the upper tunnel hoop will be wider and taller. This should give me plenty of room for new transmission. I also addressed the floor not being welded as it should be across the cross member corners.

IMG20240411211135.jpg

IMG20240411211024.jpg

IMG20240411211013.jpg

Now I can adjust the hoop little trim to do here and there but this should do it. I got back ordered trans mount puck, the 90 degree elbows for 10AN pfte trans lines, and a bushing thays supposed to be here today for the crank for the JVX flywheel install. If I can get this 40 bucks of parts here I can start assembling. Little irritated I ordered this stuff way out prior. I may go source locally and tell them nope you had your chance

IMG20240412213700.jpg

Last edited:
Ok upper hoop is in where I plan for it to live now. Minus any adjustments well stab transmission and build the tunnel around it. Three pieces top middle narrow side, should look way better than Ma Mopar did with her crooked weird tunnel. Great for stock of course but no reason to duplicate that look may as well take a liberty. At this point only the doors and trunk lid are stock rofl. Im thinking square sides and then angle top.

Step one would be the big side bell housing and give it an industrial square and angled look.

Step two will be a wider bell housing side to end.

Step three end piece will be a tapered piece to original floor tunnel.....I know original compared to what Vince.

I know someone is thinking I give him a year or two years and he will do an HDK and a Hemi. Denny would love this and wonder why didn't he spend the money there in the first place. Well because I'm having so much fun! If I did that I would not have to change the tunnel now LOL as it would moved forward three inches. Walker Inductions down the street makes a real mean twin turbo 5.7 setup and 6.4. Course that would be a Dana or 8 3/4 and lots of cash and I'm trying to drive this thing at some point!

On a funnier note. Now you know the rest of the story....as the 727 is coming out no I didn't drain the fluid and then some jack wagon was sure it would fit under pipes well it did but not the dipstick. Needless to say as its rolling out I got my finger in the hole. Buddies over to side laughing messing with me would not give me the pan so finger still in hole. Meanwhile I'm saying "I wanna hear you say one more time it will fit as I told you guys it would not!" They had themselves a good laugh and my gloves got wet!!!! I will admit I was the one that raged and yanked it out and quickly had my index finger at the ready GRIN! Something about well come back in about an hour were going to Whataburger was mentioned.

I will install the flywheel next today and the bushing. I won't torque the bolts just yet till I have all my measurements. All goes well this should be installed in the coming weeks wired and I can order my driveshaft and install the seats and cruise. I won't miss the Wiloroc cruise this year and 100 miles will be a breeze in AC with this transmission smile!

IMG20240415103710.jpg

IMG20240414174508.jpg

IMG20240414113905.jpg

IMG20240414174446.jpg

IMG20240414174500.jpg

Last edited:
Adapter installed and the bushing. Looks like I will be using the .075 spacers for the torque converter. Torque to spec 55 foot pounds.

IMG20240415201136.jpg

IMG20240415194154.jpg

-
Back