74 Duster gas overflow

-

Steve Agrella

Reaction score
ive tried to prevent this from happening but now and then she pukes gas when I fill her up.
Going to paint next month can anyone shed some light on how to prevent this from happening.
Shitty sealing gas pumps California, don’t want this to happen on new paint

ive tried to prevent this from happening but now and then she pukes gas when I fill her up.
Going to paint next month can anyone shed some light on how to prevent this from happening.
Shitty sealing gas pumps California, don’t want this to happen on new paint
I guess we just have to get used to listening to the noise that changes when the fuel is going up to the filler pipe and release the pump before a small overflow.

New pumps push fuel faster than the old fillers were designed for, and the neck doesn’t hold the nozzle at the right angle either.

You’ll either need to always fill at about half speed, or figure out a different way to vent the filler so you don’t get an over pressure to puke the fuel out.

I have the same problem with mine, it works fine if you’re patient but if you get in a hurry and don’t back off on the volume when the tank gets close to full it pukes it out.

Yea l, I need to go back to fueling school 101, just when I figure I got it down F%#€ there she blows

I have posted this before: I put a new tank in my 68 fastback, "along w/every thing else", it had a vent line coming out beside the 3/8 pick up, in addition to the one going to the filler tube.
I routed the the front one (probly was supposed to go to a vacuum canister), around and up thru the trunk floor, "up high" , put a couple of coils in it and ran it down thru the trunk floor below the frame rail , it hasn`t splashed over yet at the gas pumps, I still put a masking taped piece of clear plastic under the filler opening , taped up tite to the opening , longer than the fender. I had a new form S barracuda in 1968 that would puke out back then , stock!.

I guess we just have to get used to listening to the noise that changes when the fuel is going up to the filler pipe and release the pump before a small overflow.

Easier to do when there’s not as much road noise traffic going by. The more traffic/road noise there is, the closer you got get your ear to the nozzle to listen for the sound changes as the fuel fills the tank. I think some peeps think I’m sniffing gas when I’m doing that but it beats spot washing the car when I get back home.

-
Back