74 Duster transplant exhaust

-

John Cailey

Crizila
Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster that has a 1996 transplanted 318 Magnum motor in it where a /6 used to reside. It will be a daily driver with a mildly warmed up 318. Not sure where to go with the exhaust system. The stock ( 96 Dakota ) cast iron exhaust manifolds will not clear the P/S gear box. Headers would be preferred as long as they don't go below the steering linkage ( daily driver ) and will clear the stock P/S gear box. Cast iron exhaust manifolds would be ok also if I could find a set that fit the magnum heads and also clear the P/S gear box. Shorty headers would also be acceptable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John

the passenger side will clear ok, if you can find an e body drivers side manifold, it will clear on the drivers side. i used a 71 challenger 318 manifold, with a mini starter ( 87 dodge dakota starter )and went to a muffler shop that put the exhaust on my 74 duster, i have a column mount automatic, and ran 2.5 duals with turn down chrome extensions at rear bumper, biggest problem is tailpipe between gas tank and springs on passenger side, the gas tank is off set to the passenger side to make room for spare tire space in trunk, takes a good exhaust person to clear that one, i couldn't move springs due to wideth of rear tires and back spacing on rear wheels. My passenger side manifold was off a 92 dodge, so i don't know if that will make a difference and i used Shumacher motor mounts with the original slant 6 k frame.

Last edited:
the passenger side will clear ok, if you can find an e body drivers side manifold, it will clear on the drivers side. i used a 71 challenger 318 manifold, with a mini starter ( 87 dodge dakota starter )and went to a muffler shop that put the exhaust on my 74 duster, i have a column mount automatic, and ran 2.5 duals with turn down chrome extensions at rear bumper, biggest problem is tailpipe between gas tank and springs on passenger side, the gas tank is off set to the passenger side to make room for spare tire space in trunk, takes a good exhaust person to clear that one, i couldn't move springs due to wideth of rear tires and back spacing on rear wheels. My passenger side manifold was off a 92 dodge, so i don't know if that will make a difference and i used Shumacher motor mounts with the original slant 6 k frame.
Thanks for that Info Robert. Ya, drivers side is the problem. P/S gear box is - LARGE! Using Schumacher mounts also and column shifter ( which I had to modify going from a 904 to a 727 ). Looks like a mini starter that came with the 97 Dakota Magnum I am using. Smaller than a stock LA starter anyway. Went with "Pypes" 2 1/2 X system out the back and yes, tank is off set so clearance is tight on the pass. side. Thanks again for the E body info.

Hey Robert, could you please shoot me a pic of your 71 318 Challenger left side exhaust manifold installation? Just curious if the exhaust port runners go "up" from the ports before they go rearward and down to the port exit. Thanks in advance, John

I have a 74 Duster that has a 1996 transplanted 318 Magnum motor in it where a /6 used to reside. It will be a daily driver with a mildly warmed up 318. Not sure where to go with the exhaust system. The stock ( 96 Dakota ) cast iron exhaust manifolds will not clear the P/S gear box. Headers would be preferred as long as they don't go below the steering linkage ( daily driver ) and will clear the stock P/S gear box. Cast iron exhaust manifolds would be ok also if I could find a set that fit the magnum heads and also clear the P/S gear box. Shorty headers would also be acceptable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. John
Ok, solved my exhaust manifold problem. The stock 96 Dakota 318 Magnum manifold fit fine on the right side, except for the 727 trans dip stick tube. Had to go with a flexible braided tube. The drivers side was the issue as the P/S gear box didn't leave much room. I had a spare set of cast iron exhaust manifolds that came off a 79 Chrysler 300 ( 360 LA motor ). My wife still owns one, and it looked like the same P/S box that was in my 74 Duster, although the 300 was a B body platform. Low and behold, the 300 Manifold bolted right up with no P/S box clearance issues. FYI, the 79 300 was a true dual exhaust car from the factory ( not even the Vette of that year was a true dual exhaust car ) for that year, so I don't know if other Cordoba / B body cars used the same exhaust manifolds. This is a open ( internally ) style manifold and it should flow well with my 318 motor. Now to fab up connections to my existing X piped 2.5" exhaust system.

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

You do know that la and and Magnum exhaust are the same correct? I mean the attachment point. You can put any La exhaust on the Magnum. either that or everything I've been told it's completely wrong...

I ran the B/E body left side manifold. I ran 2.5 TTI headpipes. Fit like a glove. I had both Duster this way, but recently went to Doug's on one, and they are above the steering.

You do know that la and and Magnum exhaust are the same correct? I mean the attachment point. You can put any La exhaust on the Magnum. either that or everything I've been told it's completely wrong...
Yes, the bolt pattern is the same, although the ports are slightly different. Ya gotta use the magnum gaskets with Magnum heads and you have to do some minor port grinding on the LA exhaust manifolds ( center 2 ports in particular ).

Yes, the bolt pattern is the same, although the ports are slightly different. Ya gotta use the magnum gaskets with Magnum heads and you have to do some minor port grinding on the LA exhaust manifolds ( center 2 ports in particular ).
Sounds easy enough...

-
Back