74 Hood on a 73 swinger???

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
Does anybody know how hard it would be / what is involved in getting a hood from something like a 74 dart onto a 1973 swinger?

The chicken beak isn't quite growing on me and I'd like to explore other options if it's not too labor intensive

-Mike

The '74-'76 Darts also have beaks, though..

dodge_dart_swinger_1976.jpg

But the '74-'76 Valiants don't, which would involve a swap of hood, grille, and bumper, I believe.

7476valiantshap.jpg

Or, you could swap on a '70-'72 Dart nose (a popular swap), but for that you need fenders, hood, grille, bumper, and lower valance.

dart1.jpg

For that matter, I'm sure you could swap on any '67-'72 Dart or Valiant nose that took your fancy, but you'd need all the parts I listed.

My hope was to custom fabricate a grill anyways, and my front bumper has seen better days. So swapping a 74 valiant hood onto my 73 swinger won't require changing the fenders, correct? I know I'll need some custom bracing to replace the structural integrity of the chicken beak, but otherwise, the hood fitment shouldn't be too bad. I was mostly wondering about the fenders. New hood and bumper is fine by me.

I'll admit I've never done the swap myself (I prefer the Dart beak in any case), but I'm 99% sure the only difference between the Dart & Valiant fenders in those years is the placement of the blinker lens- Valiants have them below the bodyline. And I don't see why you'd need any special bracing.. the Valiant doesn't have any, and they're essentially the same car (especially in the later years).

Here's a '73 Scamp- basically what you'd end up with.
100819667577612b4dd2jb9.jpg

A valiant hood wont work with dart fenders. Dart fenders are about an inch longer along the top.

A valiant hood wont work with dart fenders. Dart fenders are about an inch longer along the top.

Whoops- guess I've got egg on my face.
icon11.gif
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the difference.. seems like a waste, somehow.

Whoops- guess I've got egg on my face.
icon11.gif
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why the difference.. seems like a waste, somehow.

There wheel lip is also different. The lip on a Dart goes in, the lip on a Duster comes out. Compare the wheel lips on these two '73 fenders. The top is a Dart, the bottom is a Duster.

dart.jpg

duster.jpg

The Dart and Valiant fender are different in the front also. The Dart fenders are flat in the nose whereas the Valiant ones have a slight peak so headlight bezels/grilles won't fit right. If you swap a whole unbolt sheet metal front end, you can use any '67-76 A-body as a donor. There will be some minor mods needed....wiring, bumper mounting, side markers, mouldings, etc. but nothing too serious.

-
Back