74 Javelin i took in trade Pretty Sweet

-

wannadrag

Reaction score
Took this in trade for a 65 AMC 660 a few weeks back. I used to hate these but the more I look at it the more its starting to grow on me. Nothing to special,304 auto but the body and paint are really nice . Needs a little interior work as it was one of those where the funds ran out before finishing it.
amc 026.jpg

Man I love them things! That's a nice un.

I like it, color and all. I agree, 25 years ago I wouldn't have looked twice, but they have grown on me as well.

You got a smoking deal. The value is going up quickly on them, as people are really starting to see how cool and unique they are.

I always liked the Javelin. That one looks nice. Nothing wrong with having one, they are fun cars!

Sweet frkn ride and like that color scheme. Im Currently fixing up one a 71 javelin with original 360 now but still aways away! It looks like hell now but Gonna be sweet after I’m done.
A6B44B14-7045-4E8B-8829-743B69C617BD.jpeg

I've always liked them, too. I love how when you get in and close the door, the dash wraps around you kinda like an aircraft cockpit.

Is this how yours is? I love how the dash kinds continues around on the door panel. Not all of them were like that. I think it had to have a particular trim level.

JAVELIN DASH.jpg

The AMX had the engine turned dash panel, they are really cool. They are a lot smaller than the newer challengers also.

IMG_20160604_164352.jpg

IMG_20161030_164309.jpg

The AMX had the engine turned dash panel, they are really cool. They are a lot smaller than the newer challengers also.

View attachment 1715393766

View attachment 1715393767

Yeah but somehow I remember after the AMX was dropped.......didn't the Javelin actually have an AMX trim level.....even though the AMX was no longer a stand alone model? Seems I remember that. Hell, I could be makin it all up. lol

Yeah but somehow I remember after the AMX was dropped.......didn't the Javelin actually have an AMX trim level.....even though the AMX was no longer a stand alone model? Seems I remember that. Hell, I could be makin it all up. lol
Yep, your exactly right, it was only a trim option after 1970.

Yep, your exactly right, it was only a trim option after 1970.

I thought I remembered that.....because I had a friend, Bobby Clements (RIP) who was our local Evel Knievel back in the day. He had a few of them cars and one was a 401 4 speed car which wouldda had to be a Javelin and I remember it had that dash in it.

Yep, the AMX trim option had the ralley dash with factory tach and engine turned aluminum panels, the regular javelin had woodgrain, you could get the 401 in either one, mine was just a 304 but someone put 360 badges on it, if it would've been a 401 car I'd never parted with it. That little 304 ran pretty well though.

Yep, the AMX trim option had the ralley dash with factory tach and engine turned aluminum panels, the regular javelin had woodgrain, you could get the 401 in either one, mine was just a 304 but someone put 360 badges on it, if it would've been a 401 car I'd never parted with it. That little 304 ran pretty well though.

Yeah they had some really good cylinder heads.

The SST had fancy trim and seat upholstery. Only the AMX had the chin spoiler and rear wing.

The SST had fancy trim and seat upholstery. Only the AMX had the chin spoiler and rear wing.

They were really cool. I'll tell you something crazy AMC did on all their models WAY later than anyone else and if you've had one you'll know. For some reason, they kept using the tapered rear axles with the flange that was held on bu a nut. Why they did that so late I have no idea. I don't know when they stopped.......or if they did. It worked, I guess. lol

Yep them dogleg heads flow real good, the 304 in mine had them, a lot of people make mistakes and use the old 390 style headers on them that are square port and it cuts the exhaust flow off. If you have a 304, 360 or 401 be sure to use the headers with the dogleg port.

They were really cool. I'll tell you something crazy AMC did on all their models WAY later than anyone else and if you've had one you'll know. For some reason, they kept using the tapered rear axles with the flange that was held on bu a nut. Why they did that so late I have no idea. I don't know when they stopped.......or if they did. It worked, I guess. lol
Yep there's an old junkyard over in Russell Springs KY. There's a AMC rebel machine in it only thing wrong was axle spun in the hub, the old guy wont sell it.

Yep there's an old junkyard over in Russell Springs KY. There's a AMC

Get this.....Daddy was a mailman from 1946 to 1982 when Mama was finally so sick from cancer she couldn't walk and he had to retire early. In all the time I was driving age, he would come home once a month and try like hell to get me to go to the auction and buy me a Jeep DJ. I hated them. There were even a good many left hand drive ones too. 258 six banger and a few had manual transmissions. They normally sold for less than 1000 and most were around 500-700. I never went and looked. I kinda want one now. Talk about perfect for haulin engines and parts around. lol

That AMC 20, corporate rear end stayed like that all the way up until Chrysler bought them out in 1988, the jeeps had them until they started using the 8.25. Your right Rob Cant believe they used that outdated axle so long.

-
Back