74 power wagon dream truck...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
It begins with this...
IMG_20210216_130701.jpg

:thumbsup: Forest green, I'm gonna have to start calling you GI j par.
The 74 3/4 ton has a bullet proof drivetrain, 4spd ? 360 ?
It looks like a solid truck, nice !

I saw that on adds here and almost called on it. Very nice and i'm totally jealous.
Yes it was a couple hours away up in Washington. It had only been on Facebook for a few hours. For whatever reason I was looking through my wife's Facebook... Scouring the internet for one of these as always. He had tons of calls and one guy came and said he wanted it and I told him if he doesn't I'll take it and the guy gave him a bit of a run around the next day and I was out there as fast as my truck to take me... It was a really super nice 19 year old kid and he had a two wheel drive club cab big block that he liked more so this one came up for sale. He said he could borrow his mom's diesel truck and trailer and for a fee bring it to me. I took him up on it as my trailer only fits a regular cab long bed and won't accommodate that little bit longer...

:thumbsup: Forest green, I'm gonna have to start calling you GI j par.
The 74 3/4 ton has a bullet proof drivetrain, 4spd ? 360 ?
It looks like a solid truck, nice !
Yes the forest screen on it looks really good. It's an old second paint job that's showing a little bit of its age on the roof of the truck. There's plenty of rest and the doors need replacing. As always the floorboards need replacing as well.
It has a divorced automatic which is what I wanted because I live in the city and don't want to shift gears. And it has a 360 actually a good running 360 but I think I'm going to go a different route...

SOME BACKSTORY ON THE ENGINE...
It has a good running 360 I'm pretty sure. I'm going to probably strip the oil pan and a couple of necessity things for a different engine. And then I'm selling the engine as a runner. The only reason it's not running now is he pulled the transmission because reverse went out. when he took the pan off he found the end piece of the reverse band broken off. He bought another transmission but it was the wrong length. Gave up and sold it. I have a 16 second video that he sent me his mom took of him doing cookies out in the field LOL it looked like it ran good and sounded good... I have every confidence it's a good running engine...

PLAN A:::
Strip the truck down to the frame. Strip the frame and take it in for sandblasting and powder coating... Likely strip out both axles and take them in as well..
That should keep me busy and broke for a few months...

It's possible it's a half ton with 3/4 axles..
Anyways I'm trying to make this my long game forever truck.. 408 stroker pump gas.. a/c.. the works..
I have a 360 block in my shed I would like to start with... The 596 heads from the Duster that are in excellent condition and the SM intake new in the box from black Friday...
Needless to say the gears are turning....

Also this is going to definitely pull the plug on the paint for the Duster planned for next winter...

Not 24 hours and someone knocking on my door asking if it's for sale... I was at work and wife said through the front window NO...
I took my window marker and wrote :
NOT ever for sale...

Picked up some parts and treasures today... I got a set of bumper brackets, metal door cards and some nice condition arm rest...
I think the metal door cards can be hard to find.. my intention is to have them powder coated black...
IMG_20210220_124537.jpg

So I have the transmission out..
I've had great success at rebuilding them.. Never had one with a bolted in slip yoke?? I reckon a big socket and a big pipe wrench??..

An impact gun will work. My Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless impact gun buzzed mine right off.

oh and I just got some “sport” rear bumper brackets for my truck. I had to pay dearly for them, but don’t matter, I finally have a set now. I just gotta buy the bumper at LMC

-
Back