74 spindles and 11.75 rotors

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Okay I have a 1974 front end suspension and the 11.75" rotors. Question is, are the wheel bearings and seal the same from the 11" and 11.75" rotors (meaning can I just go to napa and get the stock bearing for the 74 wheel bearings and seal)? Also where can I get the foam gasket between the dust shield and spindle?

I just cut the gasket out of thin white packing material. Check www.rockauto.com for bearings or info. Usually I just read the PN, like Timken ___ on the bearing and race. You can find most bearings that way, even unusual ones. You can also measure ID, OD, and thickness. I understand all standard bearings have always been in mm, going back to Germany.

The rotors and bearings are not the same as C bodies and 1/2 tons.

i had the 73-76 abody spindles and rotors. i swapped to the 11.75 rotor and used the same bearings from the old rotors and they fit just fine. the part # for the bearings for a 73 dart is the same as a 79 cordoba on auto zone.

Wheel bearings for the F/J/M body 11.75" rotors are the same as the '73-'76 A-body stuff. In fact, the whole front spindle on the F/J/M bodies can be swapped on as well. They're slightly taller, but don't believe the hype, the change is geometry is almost negligible, and actually is more beneficial than anything.

C-body and 1/2 ton stuff is a whole different story.

I have read that there may be an issue in finding the dust cover caps for the 11.75 rotors as they are a slightly different size... apparently they are priced like gold!

i had the 73-76 abody spindles and rotors. i swapped to the 11.75 rotor and used the same bearings from the old rotors and they fit just fine. the part # for the bearings for a 73 dart is the same as a 79 cordoba on auto zone.

ditto, I actually had the parts guy cross reference the bearing number to a 79 cordoba and they were the same part number as my 73 duster

Kick ***! Anybody have a the timken part numbers (inner, outer bearings) with races? My local auto parts stores don't carry timken.

Just curious, so what i get from this is that the bigger disc brakes from a '73 to '83 b body will fit the '73 and up spindles with no changes other than the rotors, calipers, and the caliper mounts?
I take it that the minimum wheel size would be 15''.
Correct?

Just curious, so what i get from this is that the bigger disc brakes from a '73 to '83 b body will fit the '73 and up spindles with no changes other than the rotors, calipers, and the caliper mounts?
Correct?
Yes and no. You'll need the bigger rotors, caliper mounts and possible calipers only if caliper mounts are different from the style of caliper you have i.e. pin style mount and you have sliding calipers. The tires, I don't know.

Wheel bearings after 1973 are the same for ABE and FMJ cars until the end of the rear wheel drivers. So that takes you out to the mid-80's or such.

And actually, wheel bearings do interchange between some C body cars and some ABE cars. It just depends on the years. Even some of the light trucks use the same inner wheel bearings as ABE and FMJ cars.

You can also use AndyF's caliper brackets to run Wilwood calipers with the 11.75" rotors. Thats the set up I got for my 68 Cuda.......whenever I get around to building it :banghead:

Correct?

Yes. If you match the type of caliper you have to the 11.75 bracket, you don't even need new calipers. So, if you're got slider calipers, just get 11.75" slider caliper brackets and re-use your calipers. Otherwise you'll need calipers too.

Minimum wheel size is 15", the 11.75" rotors will not fit 14" rims.

i see that someone is remaking the A body spindles any chance someone is making the 11.75" caliper brakets?
i know andyf makes some to put the Wilwood calipers but was looking for the stock style brackets

Repop 11.75 caliper adapters are almost here. Should be available soon.

Repop 11.75 caliper adapters are almost here. Should be available soon.

Are we talking an OE style repop available at any auto parts store here? Or something custom that you're doing?

-
Back