74 Swinger Project

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
A year ago picked this car up for a little over a grand. Needed a starter ( headers cooked it) the rest is just what happens when you start peeling it down. :violent1::violent1:

After getting the motor running I found the exhaust was leaking, tranny wouldn't shift, and suspension was like riding on a sled. Found the motor only had compression in 6 cylinders cam was bad. So out it came with plans on a 360...so much for a fresh rebuild on the 318.

013-3-jpg.1714629294

View attachment 013 (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The former owner had redone the brakes and they worked well...addressed the suspension and repaired front end components next and sent the 904 for a rebuild and found a 360 source block and had the 318 stripped of what was salvageable as a donor.

009-jpg.1714629311

010-jpg.1714629309

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

While the motor was being worked on I started ordering body parts..Hood scoop was some aftermarket crap I think belonged on a Ford..had to go. A buddy of mine who was doing the work on the car had a nice scoop to do the trick. Hood ended up being trashed by the previous install so another one was found..

004-jpg.1714629314

015-jpg.1714629313

View attachment 015.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

Car is 2 weeks from complete in paint and body. Then just some minor mechanicals and a horn. Beating my head up over wheels and tires. I have access to real nice set of ralleyes on 14 BBP but not sure they will look good with the paint scheme. I will post some pics when I get it back....

This is the top color from the fender line up. The hood, grill, tail panel are a satin black. This is why I am not sure about the stock silver of the ralleye rims....maybe some paint on them for a bit of contrast?

image-jpg.1714633264

View attachment image.jpg

Well was making plans to pick up the car from paint but finish date changed to the weekend of the 18th. Car is in VA so driving by to get pics along the way is out. I know it is in good hands so I am trying to be patient. In the meantime I am working through the plans on the 72 and waiting for my wife bring number 6 child into the world.

Another '74 coming to life.
Hopefully if enough of these are being restored they will start making some parts that you just can't get for the '74's soon.

What I really like in the '74's are the fact it is so light to start with (3000 lb curb weight) an to lighten it up a little bit more with a Fiberglass hood, Tubular K frame, upgraded Upper and Lower control arms, four link in the back instead of leaf springs and she becomes a real runner with out having to use a lot of power.

Are you still running a 8.25 in the back? what gears?

@ Evildart. Yep, left the 8 1/4 in place. The kid I bought it from said it had 4:10 posi gears, but he also said the 318 was a fresh rebuild in good order too. The thing will lay rubber as long as you want it to so it should be fine for now. Nothing was leaking so there was no need to address. Was not crazy about that front clip on the 74 but it is growing on me!

Ok. No update except that the guy painting my car ran into some personal issues and had stopped working on the car. I am patient, but have been ripped of so many times that it make me nervous. Car is in VA and I am in NC...what happens when you have projects going and the Army moves you. What was once the end of June is now set to the end of August. Fingers crossed there are 1k worth of DuPont Nason paints that I want to see on the car!

Ok, so the guy never finished the bodywork on the car and was nowhere near paint. Pain in my *** to pay for bs work and have to take it to another shop for them to get to work on it.

Sorry to hear that. I was in the same boat with mine, he told me 2 1/2 months and 9 months later I pulled it from him.
Had to pay $2000 at another body shop to get it fixed right.

Exactly what I am in for. I had to pay him 700 to get it out and moved it to another shop. Was supposed to be on the road by now. Now I will have to non-op the title until it is done then reapply for the tag. PITA!

Mike...not sure how I missed it. I can hook up with you for parts when I get the car back. Paint and body issues....getting the work done that is!

-
Back