75 Dart Steering Wheel Innards

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
Hey All -

Got a small problem with my steering wheel. I purchased this 75 wheel and took it apart for cleaning. As I removed the centerpiece, a small thin sliver of metal fell from one of the springs.

I figure that there should probably be 3 of these pieces of metal, one attached to each spring to make contact with the switch to sound the horn. Problem is, since the 1 piece I have just fell off, I don't know exactly how it attaches to the spring to make contact.

Anybody have photos of a 74 or 74 wheel that shows the thin metal pieces in place so that I can manufacture 2 more pieces and rebuild?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Jacksonville, FL

dart steering wheel.jpg

Let me try explaining this better...
When you depress the padded center to sound the horn, there should be a thin metal strip that pushes on the top strip of the connection switch (switch shown in the photo). There are 3 of these connection switches so there should be 3 thin metal strips. When the top strip of the switch makes contact with the bottom strip of the switch, the connection is made and the horn sounds.
Currently, I only have 1 of the strips, but since it fell out, I don't know exactly how it connects to its respective spring, which is why I need someone else's help.

Thanks.

Ok let's try a new approach;In the posted pic, all three contact strips look identical to me. How about a pic of the fallen out piece?
I think, if you remove one of those screws you might see the answer to the question

Last edited:
AJ -
Thanks for staying with this thread. I took some pics of the innards of my steering wheel and the mysterious piece I'm referring to.

On the 3rd pic that shows the mounting bolt, there is a flat surface next to the bolt. I'm wondering if that is what is supposed to make contact and depress the metal strip to sound the horn. But that still leaves the thin piece shown in the 2nd pic. I'm just figuring that if it fell out, it should go back in...or it could be a piece of 43 year old trash. LOL!

R/ Jim

20180917_183501.jpg

20180917_183513.jpg

-
Back