'75 Duster Gauge Cluster Restoration/ Repair

-

Ethan Allen

eallen23
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a 1975 Plymouth Duster with a 225 slant 6 auto (well, for now at least). For some context, it's been in the family since 75' when my great-grandma bought it for 3k. It has recently been passed down to me. I am in the process of getting it to a drivable state. I rebuilt the carburetor, am getting ready to rebuild/ repair the brake wheel cylinders, and am in the process of restoring the instrument panel/ gauge cluster. A relative who had the car before me hooked up the battery backward and I am lead to believe that he shorted the gauge cluster. I have acquired a new gauge cluster from an earlier duster (looks to be between a 70' and 73' ish). I have taken both apart and sanded the housing I am going to use with some 220 grit sandpaper. My next step will be to clean up some of the lenses and repair some cracks & missing parts with glue and epoxy. After that, I plan to put on some flexible plastic primer and then some high heat engine paint as @72bluNblu did. Then finish it off with some silver acrylic paint and a custom walnut veneer insert. I know I may not be doing things the easiest way, but this is the way I have chosen. I am trying to do this without spending a whole ton of money though.

A couple of questions I had are:
- Does anyone see any obvious flaws with my plans so far?
- Does anyone know which parts could have been damaged from being shorted and/ or how to test them to see if they are good without re-assembling the cluster and putting it back in the car?

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of this. Also, I can provide pictures of all parts if anyone has questions.

Thank you for the input.

If I read the question correctly, one of the easiest things to check is the fuse block. Yesterday I was trying to fix a dash light and I accidentally grounded out one of the connections and burnt the gauge circuit board. Thankfully, I was able to repair it. But, I would check fuses, check for scorch marks on the circuit board, and then buy or make a test light to see if the suspected shorted parts are getting power. Hopefully, only a fuse. The worst case scenario is you need to replace a gauge or wire. (to make a test light, get a 198 or 158 bulb, then just attach two speaker wires to it and tape together.)

Hey,
I have a 1975 Plymouth Duster with a 225 slant 6 auto (well, for now at least). For some context, it's been in the family since 75' when my great-grandma bought it for 3k. It has recently been passed down to me. I am in the process of getting it to a drivable state.

First off, welcome! Post up some photos of your Duster!

As the owner of a ‘75 Scamp, the history of your Duster is similar to mine in that my grandmother bought my Scamp new back in May 1975. Nice see you you bringing it back to life and keep us updated on the progress.

-
Back