76 Dodge Dart 225 318 conversion

-

Pancho

Reaction score
I recently got my first car which Is a 1976 Dodge Dart base with an automatic 225. I couldve chose a newer car but I wanted something I could work on myself and put myself to work and learn to upgrade it. I found a 318 in the parts yard and I’m wondering what id need to get besides the motor. The slant has minor leaks in the power steering and a lot of blow by which are pretty simple fixed but I wanted something that’d give me a little more hp than the slant. Not looking to make it a drag car or anything so the 318 is the just the next step up from the 225. My plans are to make it a nice cruiser. Should I follow through with the 318 or should I just put my focus into fixing the slant. Any help or advice is appreciated!

76CA9DF3-B9B3-4522-8F9F-905A602375F8.jpeg

965A2319-E5E7-461F-B538-EE8D200A717E.jpeg

3175C539-BF6A-40C7-902B-447B64E2D140.jpeg

What is the 318 'IN"? If it's an A body it "might" be a parts hoard

I would consider finding out how much the K member is going to cost, at least IF it's an A. And if it has disk brakes, get the whole K complete AND GET the upper control arms

I hope you got the 318 transmission, as the /6 bell pattern is different

What is the 318 'IN"? If it's an A body it "might" be a parts hoard

I would consider finding out how much the K member is going to cost, at least IF it's an A. And if it has disk brakes, get the whole K complete AND GET the upper control arms

I hope you got the 318 transmission, as the /6 bell pattern is different
I don’t have any of the parts, I just got the car a couple weeks ago. The engine is coming out of a ram van I don’t think I can use any parts besides the motor. Right now it’s just the plan. Im a broke high school kid I’m not trying to make this a show car, just to be my project car. I know I need a new transmission to fit into the car and the k frames, I also had plans for a disc brake conversion on the front. I know all of this is gonna take a lot of time but I figured I gotta get started somewhere

Welcome. Is this your daily driver too?

Welcome. Is this your daily driver too?
Yeah it is. I really like the car, it has its problems but it runs and drives everyday. I want it to be a little faster and stronger , but not too hard on the bank with the gas prices.

There are a few ways to deal with this. "The deal is' that the K frames are different between 6 and V8. But you can modify the K frame if you can fab and weld, and there are what are called "swap" or "conversion" mounts that allow a V8 into a slant K member. However, one of the suppliers of these has been "out" I'm not sure they are back in gear on this.

Another way, if you are a good fabricator is to build (or buy) a "motor plate" but that is fairly radical and makes pulleys/ belts more difficult

-
Back