8 1/4 rear and jeep brakes!

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all just received the hard parts from a 98 grand Cherokee rear disk brakes. Dana 35. Super easy to adapt to a 8 1/4 you just have to enlarge the axel tube hole and have 15" rims. The e brake is by your own design. Will post pics when I can figure out the ne computer. Good guy to get the parts from on ebay http://www.ebay.com/usr/stellablue420gratefuldead?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2754
Any questions just ask.

Yep cheap easy disc brake upgrade for the 8.25, why more people don't do it is beyond me.

Yep cheap easy disc brake upgrade for the 8.25, why more people don't do it is beyond me.

It took me a while to believe it! Did the research and could not find anything but "it can be modified to fit" Just have to do the thinking on the e brake, have a few ideas.

All that really needs to be done is enlarge the axel tube hole about a 1/16" and it fits right on. I will have to go to 15" rims my 14's are just a touch to small. I am actually looking at jeep mags that I can find 4 for 100! But also like the idea of steel wheels with moons on them. Or ideally painted hubcaps like the 14" ones I have to keep the old man look going. I will take more pics when I do the lines and e brake.

Attachments

• PICT0673.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,743
  • PICT0674.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,578
  • PICT0675.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,553
  • PICT0676.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • PICT0677.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,469
  • PICT0678.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,452
  • PICT0679.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,402
  • PICT0680.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,467
  • PICT0681.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,468
Yes the caliper bracket and the dust shield are riveted together.

The bolt pattern is 5X4.5 for the stock rotors. So far I have under 300 into it.
130 for the brackets and calipers
65 for pads, ebrake shoes and rotors
65 for new hoses and e brake cables from rock auto.

If anyone did this what cables did you use? I am thinking about the jeep ones and modifying an intermediate cable to fit.

wow, that's too easy, we were going to eventually swap the 7 1/4 out of the Duster for a 8 3/4 but as you know there getting tougher to find, we have a line on a cheap 8 1/4 which we may now consider using this upgrade, thanks for the link, btw, we have a 8 3/4 in another project I wonder if this swap would work there too?

I bought a conversion kit awhile ago that was supposed to do 8 1/4, and the rest. No way on the 8 3/4 the 8 1/4 has a larger axel tube and the bolt pattern was way different for the axel flange, and ford calipers. After fighting with the seller forever and 90 shipping to return it 180 total shipping, I got my money back. I was helping a friend change a motor in his grand cherokee and did my measurements and realized the myth was true, Jeep brakes will fit! 95-01 With a Dana 35 rear. Even the e brake should be easy
and the wheel studs seem to be long enough for stock steelies!

For the e brake I am going to use the factory Jeep cables. They should be here today! They are about 1 foot longer than factory dart so I will make two brackets for them and shorten the Intermediate cable to fit. Will add pics when it is done.

There should be a ton on the for jeeps only site. The ones I saw are all dana 35 with a posi. Seems to be pretty cheap here for a used one from 200-500 ea. I do know the gears fit a 8 1/4. Not to sure of the unit. I do believe they are suregrip. Might be a new way to go to get a reasonably priced rear with disks in one deal.

I'm doing the same swap on my 73 8.25 axle. I'll be using the 94-98 Grand Cherokee rear disc brake caliper adapter and dust shield out of a Jeep 8.25. These too have to be enlarged in the center hole to fit the A Body 8.25. I've bought brand new axle bearings and seals plus the carrier /pinion bearings and seals as well as calipers, rotors, hoses, the emergency brake shoes and mounting kit. I've got as far as enlarging the caliper adapters and dust shield (did them as a unit by bolting them together. Pics to follow.

I thought 8.25 and 8.75 (and Dana) all used the same backing plates.

I think you are showing us which hole needs to be enlarged, but I'm not seeing it.

...I see now, the hole in the center of the backing plate.

Dartman it is easy so far. Are you going to use an adjustable prop valve?

I'll probably use an adjustable prop valve.

I just completed a a rear disc conversion an a 8.75 that was going to go in my 65 convertible, but since the 'vert is being parted out, the 8.75 will most likely go in the wagon. After I finish the 8.25 (whenever that might be as there's no rush on it), I'll either hold on to it in case another project turns up or maybe sell it.

i have all the parts sitting in a crate that i pulled out of a junk cherokee. I will never use them.
If someone wants them. Make me an offer and i can get pics and work out a deal.

I'll probably use an adjustable prop valve.

I just completed a a rear disc conversion an a 8.75 that was going to go in my 65 convertible, but since the 'vert is being parted out, the 8.75 will most likely go in the wagon.

Hey Dodgedifferet2 - the disc conversion on the 8.75 I mentioned used the parts you fabricated. Great kit for someone doing an 8.75 and wanting to keep the stock axle bearings. Good luck on selling your 8.25 parts - they should sell pretty quick for an easy disc conversion on that axle.

Really still to cold here to work on the brakes, but I did get all the parts that I need yesterday. This is what still needs to be done. Remove the stock brackets on the frame for the front of the parking brake cables. Mount the new ones since the cables are around a foot to long, Swedge a new intermediate cable to fit, really do not want to cut the oem one. Figure when I am done can sell the whole 10 brake set up to recoup some money. Weld studs on the rear housing to mount the rubber lines to for a solid point, adjust the brake lines to fit and put in the adj proportional valve, oh yeah fix the leak on the fuel sender so I do not blow up while welding/cutting.

My son-in-law and I did this swap on his dart a couple years ago. He never has hooked up the e brake but the swap was easy. Are intension at the time was to put it on my 8.75 but that didn't work so we put it on his 8.25.

I just want to have an e brake just in case, i reall do not need it it is an auto car.

-
Back