8 1/4 Rebuild Suggestion/question

-

C2ndLTpigeon

Mopar or no Car!
Reaction score
Looking to see if someone can point me to a good affordable overhaul kit for a 73 8 1/4?
I purchased the one that was from SKF on Rockauto and after doing some research it turns out a member on here in 2019 pointed out that the bearings were bigger for the axles and he was correct so I sent that one back. Just looking for one that is for a 73 and includes bolts shims etc.

Im planing on swapping this rear in my 73 Valiant from a 7 1/4 to a 8 1/4 that has a 318 with a 904 transmission. The drive shaft will need to be shortened and from what I could find it looks like it needs to be 1.5 inches shorter? Is this correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Need 8.25 rear end info
I used the kit in post 7. Bearings were the wrong size also and not sure why. I had to get the part number off of my old bearings and source locally.
Can also contact Dr Diff for a correct kit.
BTW....if you are so inclined, Jeep Grand Cherokee disc brakes are a bolt on swap. Look for 1995-1997. Maybe other years.

Members here will not be able to give you a figure for shortening your driveshaft. You'll have to get the rear end installed and pinion angle set, then measure the length yourself. It's not difficult, and there are many places on here where you can get the process.

Need 8.25 rear end info
I used the kit in post 7. Bearings were the wrong size also and not sure why. I had to get the part number off of my old bearings and source locally.
Can also contact Dr Diff for a correct kit.
BTW....if you are so inclined, Jeep Grand Cherokee disc brakes are a bolt on swap. Look for 1995-1997. Maybe other years.

Thanks for suggesting Dr Diff, they had a selection for 75 and older housings, and also offer nicer Koyo bearings complete kit for $100 same price as the Rockauto kit but better.

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I gotta ask before I forget where I read it; Is "bolt on swap" a bolt on swap for a guy like me that can line up a bolt with a nut or a doable swap for people with ten years of fabricating experience? Man, if I could bolt rear disks on just for fun! :rolleyes:

All that was needed was to clearance the hub center register slightly (round file will work) and I recommend adding an adjustable proportioning valve (tube flaring). There is probably complete swap info on the Jeep forums. Feel free to PM me. Sorry for hijack.

I would think the new driveshaft length would be the same for a stock 318/904 car with an 8 1/4 rear since you didn't change the factory transmission location, but I would measure it anyway to make sure.

The driveshaft will need to be shortened the difference of the U-joint to axle centerline dimension of both rear ends if nothing else is changing.

Somewhere is a monster 8.25 thread with lots of conflicting information but there are some good bits in there. I thought I had it saved but I don't.

Good luck!
desert.gif

Yes, the driveshaft needs to be shortened. The factory cars did come the same drive train you have with an 8-1/4, so, you could look up the length and give it to the driveshaft shop or just simple measure it.

-
Back