8.25 limited slip, Rebuildable?

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Hey All. I need some help on what I have for limited slip in my 8.25 differential since it is slipping. I have 74 Duster that has 8.25 diff rear end that I had newer ring & pinion installed. I bought a 3.55 R&P with limited slip here on FABO in 2008. The numbers from ring gear: 2852943 - 3.55, 3 29 88, RJ2 (R is upside down). The carrier for posi was stamped 08 11 24. Wonder if this is rebuildable limited slip or a suregrip that is not. As I remember it was from Dakota maybe 88 or 89. Lost pictures of gears in computer crash. Thanks for help on identifying this. Have a lead on 8.75, but may need this rebuilt until I can get that firm.

Last edited:
The cone style suregrip is technically not rebuildable but it is possible with some machining. You have to machine some off the narrow and of the cone and then shim it back the same amount on the fat end. The problem is when they get worn the end bottoms out and the cone no longer makes contact properly.

Thanks MoparMike. I heard something about that long time ago. Do you know if that from Durango would be suregrip.

If it's a cone type, as mentioned, technically it's not rebuildable. I have done one and lemmie just say, it was a double barrel bastard to machine the cones, because of how they are made. I got it done, but it was tough.

I have rebuilt at least 6 cone types, and adjusted them to my liking.
For street, and 295s,I like120 ftlbs of turning torque using 80/90 gear oil and the correct amount of GM Limited-Slip whale-oil additive. I used Ford side gear washers. Sorry; no pn. The old guy behind the counter always knows what I need.One of mine has a pretty thick stack of washers in it already, but it still works great behind my teener.Yeah I've cut that one a few times.
Behind my 367 I have a trac-loc 4-spider clutch-type.

I have rebuilt at least 6 cone types, and adjusted them to my liking.
For street, and 295s,I like120 ftlbs of turning torque using 80/90 gear oil and the correct amount of GM Limited-Slip whale-oil additive. I used Ford side gear washers. Sorry; no pn. The old guy behind the counter always knows what I need.One of mine has a pretty thick stack of washers in it already, but it still works great behind my teener.Yeah I've cut that one a few times.
Behind my 367 I have a trac-loc 4-spider clutch-type.

Are you talking about the 8.25 or the 8.75? The 8.25 cones are a challenge to machine to say the least.

Thanks you guys for posting. I guess I will just have to tear apart to see what's in there. From Rock Auto, they list a clutch type TracLoc for 88 Dakota. I corrected my post to Dakota pickup instead of Durango. (Brain Fart)

-
Back