8.25 rear end advice

-

grr8_65

Reaction score
Picked up an 8.25 rear end to put behind my 65 barracuda slant 6 so I could get the BBP axles. Believed the ratio to be 2.76 but as it turns out it is 2.45. What do you suggest to get the raatio back to about 2.76? a) change the gears in the 904 (with rear pump) b) try to get rid of the rear end and and start again c) live with it. The car will be primarily a street car with both freeway and town driving. Town will probably be the greater use. Thanks for the input.

They did produce a 2.94 gear raito for 8 1/4 (found mainly in cop car's) that would about perfect for ya man.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you would see a huge difference between the two.

you need a different carrier for anything 2.76 and higher. the 8.25's in the darts came with a 3.21.

you need a different carrier for anything 2.76 and higher. the 8.25's in the darts came with a 3.21.

X2 (except the 3.21 came in Darts. Optional, but not standard. 2.76 & 2.94 are the most common I've seen.)

The only way you can go with your 8¼ is down to a 2.21:1. IMO live with it or cut your losses and get this assembly in the hands of a confirmed hypermiler.

Picked up an 8.25 rear end to put behind my 65 barracuda slant 6 so I could get the BBP axles. Believed the ratio to be 2.76 but as it turns out it is 2.45. What do you suggest to get the raatio back to about 2.76? a) change the gears in the 904 (with rear pump) b) try to get rid of the rear end and and start again c) live with it. The car will be primarily a street car with both freeway and town driving. Town will probably be the greater use. Thanks for the input.

:wack:

"change the gears in the 904 (with rear pump)"

What are you talking about?

ALL 904's have a 1:1 3rd gear... the difference in pump configuration has nothing to do with that.

Or did you mean to go to the 2.74 1st gear from a 999??

Scratchin' my head on this one...

Some of the 5th Ave's have a 2.2 rear end....the housing looks a little funky, that is a quick give away if you are ever looking for 8 1/4" stuff

I meant to change the first gear to 2.74. After more study I think I'll run it and see how it goes, then, if necessary. buy a new carrier with the 2.96 gears. The slants are torky anyway, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Dude that is a good swap! drop in the 2.76:1 1st gear raito front planetary In exchange for the more common 2.45:1 1st gear raito. it will drop rite in. Very nice mod to get you goen outta the hole. same 2nd & 3rd raito as it was. I did it to my dart combined with a 2500rpm stall & she'll lay rubber like no one s buzzz!

change the tire size. If you go from a 26" total diameter down to a 25" (for example) you will achieve what you are looking for. I do this at the track and it works well.

-
Back