8.25 sure grip recommendations

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Building a 37 Dodge pickup for street and the odd time down the 1/4 mile. It's on an 89 Dodge Dakota chassis and has an 8.5 rear-end with 3.90 gears but its an open diff. Any recommendations on best bang for your buck sure grip/posi for it?? Anything else I will need to install the unit??

I have been running a auburn gear limited slip unit for 9 years and has worked flawless!! I recommend auburn gear. Also have heard good things about detroit locker. It's known to be alittle noisy but the strength is what outweighs the noise!:steering:

I have been running a auburn gear limited slip unit for 9 years and has worked flawless!! I recommend auburn gear. Also have heard good things about detroit locker. It's known to be alittle noisy but the strength is what outweighs the noise!:steering:

Thanks! I ordered an Auburn from Jegs; got lucky as they were on sale

Just a word of caution. Make sure to use limited slip additive to gear oil. I use K&W limited slip additive in a blue and black tube. Auburn use to send a tiny bottle of additive but was not enough! When I went around a corner my rear did some chattet sounds. So drove like that a little while then drained rear and used non synthetic 75/90 gear oil and added the KW additive and all was good!:)

Now days most name brand gear lube ( I use Valvoline) say on bottle limited slip additive already included. But I suspect that may not be enough. I recall another member use this such gear oil and experienced what I did chatter noises! Which is not really a good thing.

I have a stock rearend limited slip and need to go with the Auburn gear locker it's a 3 speed on the floor with 425 hp The rearend is perfect as I can drop it down in 1st or 2nd and have plenty of torque and drop in 3rd and run 70-80 easy down the highway
I haven't checked the gear ratio but do you think I can and should get a Auburn gear with the same ratio? Thanks

did you make sure to get a late/Dakota unit?

spline count is different vs 60's through early 80's

did you make sure to get a late/Dakota unit?

spline count is different vs 60's through early 80's

If you're talking to me I haven't done anything yet. My car is a 1971 Plymouth valiant scamp with stock rearend. Warmed up 318

Talking to the OP

-
Back