8 3/4 742 build up

-

arj6156

Reaction score
Ok I need some assistance from the aall telling mopar group.
Building up a 742 carrier, new everything. The original pinion had the spacer under the rear bearing (caliper broke so I need a new on to be precise) looks to be the std .090 one. there was a thin shim on the shoulder of the pinion under the fwd bearing. There wasn't a spacer on the pinion.
used the same setup with the new pinion, when setting up the preload it takes about 85 lb/ft of torque to get 30 lb/in of preload measured on the pinion nut., installed the sure grip, set backlash to near zero and got a good pattern, (painstakingly honed out the original bearings to create a near slip fit for setup).
When reviewing the torque requirements, it was 200 lf/ft for the pinion nut (have the torque values in my shop not in front of me), if I torque to 100 lf/ft the pinion will be locked up tight, no way could I ever get to 200.
What am i missing here?

the shim under the forward bearing (near the yoke ) is to set pinion bearing preload ( there is no spacer on a 742 case )-- you will have to increase the thickness of the shim and torque the nut to at least 150 ft/lbs to get a accurate rotating preload reading --- you may have yo do this several times to get the preload right at about 20 -25 inch /lbs --- after getting it right you should be able to torque the nut to the final spec 200 ft /lbs add some loctite on threads on final assembly.

One other question I have; is it recommended to use the factory type axle seals when using green bearings?

One other question I have; is it recommended to use the factory type axle seals when using green bearings?

You can do it either way. But the bearings are designed to be sealed so no you do not have to run the inner axle seal but most people do.

-
Back