8 3/4 Axle Issues

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
Quick run down of the car.
'72 Dart with stock A body 8.75 housing. It has 30 spline Dr. Diff axles for factory length.

I was running a 489 case 3.23 sure grip when I decided to test out the 742 case 3.91 sure grip I bought for my Charger. It has a new ring as well. After I bolted the center in the housing, I got the passenger axle bolted in perfectly fine. When I went to the driver side, the axle seemed like it was bottoming out. I drove the car on Power Tour with the 3.23 gears, so I know that nothing is off about the axles, so what could it be? I even tried loosening the passenger side, but it didn't help. It seems like it needs about an inch further in before it will bolt on.

Any help is appreciated.

My guess is the inner and out axle gear splines are not lined up on the left side, Bolt the right side in and then your going to have to turn the left axle a little until the splines line up. It won't turn easy or shouldn't, but use a pry bar on the studs or bolt a wheel to the axle and turn it and tap on the end of the axle.

if you are running green bearings you need to remove the thrust button in the diff if not one axel will not go all the way in by about 1/8 th but if you are out an inch Roy is right on the money .

Call Dr. Diff.. This happened to my install too, turns out I had to lock one axles from rotating while I slightly rotated the other side and the splines lined up and allowed the axle to fully seat.

That’s what I was thinking, sometimes a thrust button will fall out and be laying in there....

-
Back