8 3/4 axle seals

-

Tad

Reaction score
7861D1E3-E5A6-4F49-BFF7-93E1AA40D666.jpeg
I’m installing new axle seals in my rear end. Did they go just to the upper lip or are they supposed to be inserted all the way down until they stop leaving about a quarter inch or so above the seal? Currently I have mine tapped in just far enough to where they’re flush with the upper edge.

What do your axles look like? Here's where the seal rides on mine.
upload_2020-1-3_20-34-45.png

Cool. Now you know where to go. Make sure they go in square as they can be damaged fairly easy.
Don't forget to pack those bearings.

There should be a little ridge where the seal comes to a stop. It's only in the tube a couple inches or so if I remember correctly.

That bearing looks dry, be sure and pack those bearings really well, they get no lube from the gear oil.

They are new axles for me from another member. I will grease them well before they go in.

I will grease them well before they go in.

I don't know if you have one, but I used a needle that attaches to a grease gun, it will get grease down inside pretty decent, and then finish packing what you can by finger.

View attachment 1715447420 I’m installing new axle seals in my rear end. Did they go just to the upper lip or are they supposed to be inserted all the way down until they stop leaving about a quarter inch or so above the seal? Currently I have mine tapped in just far enough to where they’re flush with the upper edge.

I just redid my 8 3/4 a couple weeks ago. I didn’t have a seal driver, but a snuff can fit perfect into the housing end. Traced it on a piece of plywood and took a bigger socket to drive it in. Your seals will go in til they stop. Don’t be afraid to put a little grease on the inside of the seal so when your tapping it in the little spring doesn’t pop off. Worked well for me

322AF5D7-4659-410D-9717-226A7CAE92DE.jpeg

D511575D-52E1-4A72-A430-B56BBE6A0A6F.jpeg

-
Back