8 3/4 dif

-

Shenango

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing all the fluids in my newly acquired 70 Swinger 340. Is the preferred method for the differential to suction the fluid out or to break the seal between center section and housing. If there is a drain plug somewhere I need new glasses.
Thanks, Jerry

There is no drain plug. At the dealer, we always used a suction pump. Some people do put drains in, but if you are worried about originality, don't do it.

If you decide to break the seal then you may just as well repack the axle bearings if they are tapered.

I'm in the process of changing all the fluids in my newly acquired 70 Swinger 340. Is the preferred method for the differential to suction the fluid out or to break the seal between center section and housing. If there is a drain plug somewhere I need new glasses.
Thanks, Jerry
Since it's a "newly acquired" car, I'd pull the cover and have a look around inside just to make sure that nothing is obviously wrong.

there is no cover on the 8.75

I added a drain plug in mine

no drain plug? suction it out.
LOL! You are quite right, my bad. And I know this!

Still...it might be worth it to drop the center section out for a looksy. It's just more of a hassle than pulling a cover.

8 3/4...cover? :BangHead:
Thanks everyone for the advice. For now I'll just suck out the old and put the new in. This winter, when I'm desperate for something to, I'll take the dif apart and give it a good going over. Tag says 3.23S, should be sure grip already.
Jerry

If anything is suspect if driven since it is newly acquired pull the 3rd member. If everything is peaces and cream then suction is your friend.

Are you doing this because you are anal about the new purchase (lol) or is there another reason for wanting to change the fluid?

JW

I just check the fluid when it's warm.If it's not brown and foamy at all, then there is no water in it. If it smells like gear oil is supposed to smell like, then the fluid has not been overheated nor overworked. If the level is good, Then I'd be inclined to leave it be. I'm lazy like that.
The fluid in my diff is circa 2002. It has 125,000 or so miles on it. It smells a little fishy, but it's supposed to,lol.

If anything is suspect if driven since it is newly acquired pull the 3rd member. If everything is peaces and cream then suction is your friend.

Are you doing this because you are anal about the new purchase (lol) or is there another reason for wanting to change the fluid?

JW
Probably just me. I don't know the person I bought it from and I only want to change all the fluids for my own piece of mind. Anal is a good description, I tend to go overboard sometimes.

Probably just me. I don't know the person I bought it from and I only want to change all the fluids for my own piece of mind. Anal is a good description, I tend to go overboard sometimes.

People put people in your position...... Just for piece of mind change it out. Just went through this with a 9" ford because the owner wanted "peace of mind lol."

Good luck,
JW

People put people in your position...... Just for piece of mind change it out. Just went through this with a 9" ford because the owner wanted "peace of mind lol."

Good luck,
JW
Case in point. Yesterday I de-greased and power washed my engine. All went well and it started right up. After 10 minutes into the drying run I noticed a fine stream of fluid squirting out of the timing set cover. All the crud evidently kept it at a drip for a long time, something I noticed in the driveway. Now I am faced with more down time waiting on parts, tearing the front of my engine down, and all of the aggravation of doing a repair when changing the anti-freeze every 10 years or so could have prevented the corrosion in the coolant passages of the cover.
Not real happy at this point, Jerry

LOL! You are quite right, my bad. And I know this!

Still...it might be worth it to drop the center section out for a looksy. It's just more of a hassle than pulling a cover.

and heavier! lol
No worries man
Relatively quick disassembly and inspection, new inner seals and gaskets are relatively cheap too for peace of mind :)

-
Back