8 3/4 differential with 10' brakes

-

demonmike70

Reaction score
So I finally broke down and bought a 8 3/4 small bolt pattern differential. Unfortunately the brake backing plates are damaged. Any know if they are reproduced? I can find all the other brake parts in need.

20211012_173026.jpg

20211012_163705.jpg

20211012_163658.jpg

Someone just posted some for sale.

What do you know about this rear?

Is it a REAL A body 8 3/4?
Is it 5x4" bolt pattern?
If your drums are 10x1.75 and turnable do that.

Post some photos of the backing plate dammage

Agree with above^^^. If it's a real a-body 8 3/4 it takes different width brake drums and backing plates than the normal 10" brake 8 3/4 out of a b,c, or e body.
I would call Cass (Dr Diff) .

Later 10" drums from an 8 1/4 A body - 73-74 are a bolt-on. But they're also hard to find.

Someone just posted some for sale.

What do you know about this rear?

Is it a REAL A body 8 3/4?
Is it 5x4" bolt pattern?
If your drums are 10x1.75 and turnable do that.

Post some photos of the backing plate dammage
It's out of 1971 Demon that sat in field for 30+years. It's a small bolt pattern. The brake drums are shot. There badly rusted.
It has 4:10 gear, that's rust pitted. It think I may have bent the drums when trying to get them off. I did find rear drums at Layson restoration.

Do you know the difference between A body backing plates and B,C,E body backing plates?

You might want to pressure test the housing to becsure there are no pin holes.

Still looking for photos of the 10x1.75 backing plates damaged areas

Do you know the difference between A body backing plates and B,C,E body backing plates?

You might want to pressure test the housing to becsure there are no pin holes.

Still looking for photos of the 10x1.75 backing plates damaged areas
I don't know what the difference between the a,b,c and e body backing plates. I haven't made it over to where I store the differential. Maybe tomorrow I can get over there tomorrow to take pictures. I could probably repair them, but I would by new ones if they weren't too pricey.

The difference is in the depth of the offset in the backing plates, where the shoes are. I believe, but i dont know for sure, that the a-body has a shallower offset, because of the narrower shoes.
Thats why i suggested calling Dr Diff. Get the straight poop.

The difference in the backing plates are where the pads where the shoes rub on them. I sent mine out for powder coating and got back different one's from a B-Body, they would NOT work. I had to find used one's and decided to not send them back in for powder coating...

Those backing plates are '66-72 A-body and SOME mid 60's B-bodies with a slant 6, 7 1/4 rear, and the narrow 10" brakes. Those are RH and LH parts too. I can get you the factory part numbers if you need it, but, those haven't been available new in like forever....Someone is bound to have a pair laying around after doing a large bolt pattern axle shaft and brake changeover.

-
Back