8-3/4 fixture, for your engine stand!

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Here is a few picture. all you fabricators could build this for next to nothing!
0329171745.jpg
0329171745a.jpg

On the stove drying the paint.
0329171807.jpg
0329171807a.jpg
image.jpg

Wow sorry about the picture Q
It strong, was able to put all my body weight on it and it didn't care! (I weigh a lot!
sure beat rolling on the floor or trying to keep in in the jaws of a vice.

That is a great project for a beginning welder.

I have no fabbing skills let alone a welder. Made it out of cardboard and then took it to the local metal shop and said make this.
My first idea was to have the pipe attach to a vice. Was cleaning up my garage for this project, pushing my eng stand to its new clean corner... I when Hmmmmm and the wheels started turning!

I did a search on here, did another on with Google, and found only one person that had made one of these.(and it was for a ford 9" of course) He used a trailer hitch/receiver that he welded to the side of his big sturdy metal bench. My bench is wood and cheesy so i new that would not work.

I'm glad someone found it interesting. I post mostly on the racing form..........but felts it was more fitting to be post up in this section.
It really turned out stronger than i thought. We will see if there is any flaws to my design in a couple weeks, when it get warmer.

I have a back burner plan forming for a tool similar to that. I purchased some tubing that fits the engine stand. It should make things a lot easier to do anything to an 8.75 rear end. Several years ago I constructed a tool to hook to the 8.75 to lower it from the housing on the car using a floor jack. Instead of manhandling it to the ground. It replaces the saddle on the jack. Planning ahead you know for old age. I did use it a couple of times. Sorry no pics.

So far, the only thing i would "update" to this design would be not to cut such a big cardboard washer. Told him it didn't need to be that big, but he spec it to my cardboard design, half square circle and all.:lol:

Thats cool, sure beats that thing rolling around like you sad, especially for the pinion nut!

What kinda coin did it cost u. Kim

All said and done, $128.54
It could have been more, but all they had to do is trace out my pattern, cut and weld.
When I went and picked it up, the kid that build it, was harassing me, telling me that he was charging me 4 hours labor. I told him that piece was going back out to the scrap pile, along with his 4 hours of labor.:poke:He reconsider.:D

I've seen another one that replaces the rotation pad on a roll around jack.

That way you can use the jack to install it.

Hum.
I might be able to make one of those with stuff I've got laying around.
I wonder if an upper control arm is about the same size as the U thingy.
With a little cutting.
And an axle housing might work for the tube.

Picture 004 (Medium).jpg

Yes , put the heavy thing back in too ! Although I've made claims lately that I might still do it like a real man ! LOL ! My Chiropractor is a real man !

Hey I'm still working on this previous quote thing !

0515171831.jpg

above from left to right,7290 yok, holder for that yok. the chrome bar is off a snap-on 3/4 drive. I has a pin that hold the head on. I drilled a small hole in the holder so the ratchet bar snap into place.
adj and homemade too the a socket that i was going to have welled in place........found the proper tool online and bought it.
the only thing left to do is buy a 2nt set of bearings that i can modify to be "set up bearings.
Below is the pinion nut or yoke tool. if i need it later i can drill holes for a 7260 or 1350 yoke.

0515171829.jpg

once started, couldn't put it down, great read. wow, there are some great ideas/talent and workmanship put to work here, hat's off to all you guys/gals. reminds me of a Jerry Reed line "why didn't you just learn how to cook", you all 'cook'. leverage is your friend, and that idea is put to work here. two heads are better than one, and you need the initial idea to improve upon, and help each other (along with the 20/20 hindsight). the 'teamwork', help, and friendships on this site (throughout) are outstanding! build a better mousetrap.....you have. well done! salute,and thanks for sharing.

-
Back