1. Jim Kueneman

Jim Kueneman FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:18 AM
    I am using the stock leaf springs in the '72 Duster and have a pre '68-'70 8 3/4" for it. The perches have been cut off and new ones ready to install. Am I safe expecting with stock springs where the perches sit to be parallel with the bottom of the car? So can I safely align the perches with a -8 degree (with respect to 90 degrees) or so angle to the face of where the center chunk bolts to and have it come out fairly close to -8 degrees when all together? I don't have the K-frame and power train in the car yet and would like to get the rear axle done before that happens.

Thanks.

2. DoctorDiff

DoctorDiff Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    An 8 degree negative perch angle will bind the U-joints.

If you want to duplicate the stock A-body pinion angle, weld the perches at 43" on center. The pinion should angle upward 5 degrees when the perches are level with the ground.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jim Kueneman

Local Time:
      Thanks, I swore I read it should be angled down (maybe that was for maximum traction drag racing). Thanks. I have and order in your cart for reseal kits, brake lines and brake hardware once I go out and measure for the correct lines!

• DoctorDiff

DoctorDiff Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Pinion angle is relative to the transmission center-line, not to the ground. Even though the pinion appears to angle upward, it is actually 2 degrees negative when compared to the transmission.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jim Kueneman

Local Time:
        What brake hose will reach from the '72 Duster hard line bracket to the junction block on a late '60s 8 3/4". It is the one that has the block closer to the center of the axle.

• j par

j par Well-hung Member

Local Time:
        2:18 AM
        Or like maximum vibration drag racing! LOL:poke:Dr diff has spoken on the subject nuff said...:thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.