8 3/4 gear set up help

-
Jughead

I remember that memo,, "hatchet-marks"_ lol..

did you go thru the "boxcar bearing" fiasco, ??

Vehicles transported by rail, had flatspots pounded into the axle bearings.. you had to diss-mantle the bearing, without damaging it, to show the "flatspots" to get paid for warranty,, sheesh..

Anyone remember crankshafts 1 and 2 thou. under from factory??

I do remember the odd sized rod and mains. I think they marked the block with a maltese cross or something weird.

fishy68 I knew that.I only ran them about 5 miles the 1st set up, no wear pattern when taken apart.That is why it took me so long to get this done, because I didn't have time to deal with it durning my race season.The car sat all summer, really ticked me off.
Many people have had bad luck with Motive gears, they are cheap imports.A few have had good luck. Maybe if you have some noise in your exhaust, you wouldn't notice. Mine is super quite.
But thanks for the info Chris

You've got a bad set of gears. Crappy machining from Motive. Had the same types of problems with a number of their gear sets. I know it's expensive but try a different brand. JMO

fishy68 I knew that.I only ran them about 5 miles the 1st set up, no wear pattern when taken apart.That is why it took me so long to get this done, because I didn't have time to deal with it durning my race season.The car sat all summer, really ticked me off.
Many people have had bad luck with Motive gears, they are cheap imports.A few have had good luck. Maybe if you have some noise in your exhaust, you wouldn't notice. Mine is super quite.
But thanks for the info Chris

Gotcha Chris. I had a set of them that were pretty noisy too. My exhaust wasn't all that quiet and it still annoyed me and the wife. Sure sucks.

BTW: your description of the noise yours make fit mine to a T, go figure!

You know, the gears in my car (4.30:1) whine on coast. Does not bother me really, just part of having 'gears' in your car.

Unless the noise is really bad and present all the time, (accel/decel) I'd run 'em. At this point, you are not going to cure any ills by doing the same thing over and over.

You know, the gears in my car (4.30:1) whine on coast. Does not bother me really, just part of having 'gears' in your car.

Unless the noise is really bad and present all the time, (accel/decel) I'd run 'em. At this point, you are not going to cure any ills by doing the same thing over and over.

I can understand a little whine with low gears but if his are anything like the ones I had in my car it's not a case of a little whine while decelerating. They howled like a freakin banshee at 45-50 mph under light throttle. It was an ear piercing whine/howl that could be heard over loud exhaust and through hushmat insulation.

I had a set of 5:12's that whined soo bad on decel,, you'd swear there was a cop behind, with a siren on...

Thanks Fishy68. They had like 3 miles on them total with each set up. I knew if they were wrong it would damge them, so I didn't drive it.That is why it took so long to go through all this, because I didn't have time to mess with it, and I didn't want to drive it..
They are just crappy gears.

Your welcome Chris. It sucks to get bad ones like that. I have talked to a few guys running Motive gears and it seems only about 1 out of 3 run quiet. Not too good odds IMO.

They had like 3 miles on them total with each set up. I knew if they were wrong it would damge them, so I didn't drive it.That is why it took so long to go through all this, because I didn't have time to mess with it, and I didn't want to drive it..
They are just crappy gears.

I have set many sets of motive gears and none have noise, after you start with the specs that gear company wants, you then need to mark it and read it, and when you mark it and read it you need a lot of pressure on the gear to get the right mark, not some drag but a lot of drag. Seeing what it shows on the marking then if it has a issue then you make the fine adjustments needed sometimes

The difference between quiet and noisy can and very many times is as little as .005, and making huge adjustments either way is not good.
I have never had any set of motive gears make noise, and that is a huge number of motive gears.
I only had one set of gears ever make noise and that was a 7.5 10blt that had multiple blow ups before i did it and the best i could get that china gear set was to be a whisper at 80 mph at cruise, not accel or decel just cruise and that was a 4.88 china pos gear that the customer just had to have .

I have set many sets of motive gears and none have noise, after you start with the specs that gear company wants, you then need to mark it and read it, and when you mark it and read it you need a lot of pressure on the gear to get the right mark, not some drag but a lot of drag. Seeing what it shows on the marking then if it has a issue then you make the fine adjustments needed sometimes.

Have you noticed having to vary much from the pinion depth Motive gear wants you to start at?

I have made some adjustments from there specific settings, some i haven't had to touch and there have been a few that needed between .006 to .013 difference at the pin, and it seems more so when the diff im doing is going from say 3 series to 4 series

I do but you saw it, so any advice on brand of gears?
I recently put a set of Richmond's in mine. Boy was the setup touchy. Just .002" either way and the pattern went way off. Finally settled with .002" from what they had marked on the pinion. Had slight decel whine at first but after a few miles it's hardly noticeable

Great thank you. What tools did you use for set up.
I have this pinion depth tool Proform Pinion Setting Tools 66516

and a dial indicator with a magnetic base that I bought from Grizzly tools

One thing I'll mention that I found out when using the pinion depth tool is the surface where the carrier cap bolts onto sometimes needs filed down a little because the bolt threads sometimes protrude slightly which throws off your measurement

Whoa, way old thread!

I use an older version of this one.

Not cheap but I will say with 100% confidence it works better than the cheaper ones out there. Some may have good luck with other tools and yes, it's expensive if you only do the job every so often but it is is a really nice tool.

Whoa, way old thread!

Not cheap but I will say with 100% confidence it works better than the cheaper ones out there. Some may have good luck with other tools and yes, it's expensive if you only do the job every so often but it is is a really nice tool.
That is the exact one I have. I bought it like 15 years ago.

Whoa, way old thread!

I agree that's a much better tool than the one I have. If your going to be doing very many it's worth the extra money

-
Back