8 3/4 pad placement

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
just got an 8 3/4 that came out of a 72 half ton. It appears to me that the pads for the leaf springs are on the wrong side. The pads have the flats on top, and i thought they should be on the bottom. Can you put a case on upside down to the housing?

No, the truck rear axles were hung from the bottom of the leaf springs. The cars from the top. The rear axle was "right side up" for each application.

RRR is right. It won't work upside down. Plus even if you flip it over the pads are nowhere close to being in the proper place for any Chrysler car and if your thinking about using it in a Dart (your avatar) it's about a foot too wide

just got an 8 3/4 that came out of a 72 half ton. It appears to me that the pads for the leaf springs are on the wrong side. The pads have the flats on top, and i thought they should be on the bottom. Can you put a case on upside down to the housing?
most p/ups are that way, raises the bed up, as it locates the rear end under the springs, instead of over them..

You can have the housing shortened and the spring perches added by Moser or any number of people. Find used axles or buy new ones, good to go.

You can have the housing shortened and the spring perches added by Moser or any number of people. Find used axles or buy new ones, good to go.
When you weld new pads on housing is the location same as pinion centerline or nose up or down a few degrees? Thanks

I'm sure it is nose down, not sure of the degrees. I've had Moser do it or someone else who knew what they were doing.

I'm sure it is nose down, not sure of the degrees. I've had Moser do it or someone else who knew what they were doing.
anyone know this angle, and did different models(A,B,C.ect) use different measurements ?

Hope your planning to install in a truck.

Actually, I was just wondering......this rear end is destined to be sold when I'm done with it(489 case).....Just tore it apart tonight, and have to figure out if the gears are worn out as I think the pinion has too much slop. Someone has had it apart as it had a bad stud and RTV for a seal.
OH, and my avatar is a DUSTER not a Dart.....I took the photo myself......LOL

anyone know this angle, and did different models(A,B,C.ect) use different measurements ?
If I'm not mistaken from the factory they were zero to 2 degrees down. That can change though depending on what your doing with the car and the type of rear suspension your running. For instance if your running SS springs you want 5-8 degrees down. If your running ladder bars or CalTracs you want about 2 degrees down. You know your supposed to use a locating bar setup while welding on the housing, right?

Actually, I was just wondering......this rear end is destined to be sold when I'm done with it(489 case).....Just tore it apart tonight, and have to figure out if the gears are worn out as I think the pinion has too much slop. Someone has had it apart as it had a bad stud and RTV for a seal.
OH, and my avatar is a DUSTER not a Dart.....I took the photo myself......LOL
If it's a 489 case and the pinion has a lot of slop it's possible the crush sleeve crushed down or the pinion bearings are just worn out. Worn out gears are extremely rare. Sorry, in the pic the front end looks like a Dart sport but my eyes aren't the best for determining those things on a little computer screen

If it's a 489 case and the pinion has a lot of slop it's possible the crush sleeve crushed down or the pinion bearings are just worn out. Worn out gears are extremely rare. Sorry, in the pic the front end looks like a Dart sport but my eyes aren't the best for determining those things on a little computer screen
Yes I have the locating bar and all the bearing adapters thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

Have to forgive my ignorance here, but what does this locating bar look like, I've never seen anything used when someone welds on a rear.
Just a long absolutely straight piece of round rod 1-1/4" diameter with locating pucks for the housing ends and center section. I bought the pucks from Leadmine products on E-bay. Here's a link
Rearend Narrowing Fixture Combo with Rearend Ruler - 8 3/4" Mopar Rear End - | eBay

and the straight bar from Speedy metals. Here's a link
Speedy Metals 1-1/4" 1045 Steel Round

Just a long absolutely straight piece of round rod 1-1/4" diameter with locating pucks for the housing ends and center section. I bought the pucks from Leadmine products on E-bay. Here's a link
Rearend Narrowing Fixture Combo with Rearend Ruler - 8 3/4" Mopar Rear End - | eBay

and the straight bar from Speedy metals. Here's a link
Speedy Metals 1-1/4" 1045 Steel Round
Cool thanks that clears it up for me, luckily at work we have lots of machining gear and some very switched on guys.

-
Back