8-3/4 question

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Did Ma Mopar use the 8-3/4 in a 73 340 Duster. I've read in a couple places that the 8-3/4 was only used until 72 then in 73 they went to the 8-1/4 even in 340 cars. But it's been quite awhile since I read that and can't find it. I did find this link on Moparts that vaguely the 8-3/4 was used up until 72 and the 8-1/4 was 73 and up.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/6.html

Reason I ask is I saw some on E-bay and the have the big bolt pattern. I can't afford Yukon's so I thought at least these would be an upgrade to the big pattern and 1/2" studs. When I politely asked the seller if they were for sure 8-3/4 axles for an A-body with the big bolt pattern because I read they only used the 8-3/4 until 72 and then went to the 8-1/4 even in 340 cars he got extremely rude and this is the e-mail I got from him.

Look here. They are 4 1/2 in. bolt pattern axles out of my 8 3/4 rearend. NO INSPECTION PLATE. CHUNK REMOVES FROM FRONT. I have been dealing in MOPARS for 40 yrs now. EVERY 1973 340 DUSTER CAME OUT WITH AN 8 3/4 REAREND. DONT QUESTION MY INTELLIGENCE.

Well I promptly let him know he didn't have to worry about answering any more questions from me as I wouldn't be bidding on his axles.

What do you all think? Did they in fact use a 8-3/4 in 73.

Anybody know? Thanks, Tracy

I have never seen a 73 abody 8 3/4. All the literature I've ever read states that 72 was the last year. And if there was such a thing as a large bolt pattern abody 8 3/4, LBP axles would have been readily available along time ago. No one would have had to cut down c body axles. That guy needs to put the crack pipe down.

i agree. all literature states 72 as the last year. that is why 72 valiants/darts got alot of 'em to get rid of 'em.

crackhead alert.............

I had a 73 Duster 340 and it had the 8.25 in it ,but it would not surprise me at all to find an 8.75 in a 73. If anything was left over from the preceding year of car production Chrysler would use it up. They would never junk their leftovers. My 68 Dart is an early one and has a ton of leftover 67 parts such as the 741 3rd member, stainless wheel well mouldings, unbordered rear view mirror, Chrome door handle buttons,and metal coat hooks. IMHO I think it`s quite possible for an early production 73 to have an 8.75. The guy selling those axles needs to realize he doesn`t know everything. I`ve been dealing with Chrysler for almost 35 years and I`m never surprised at what I find. There`s always something new to learn.

I heard that '72 was the last year for a body ones as well, they did continue to make them for other bodies till '74 I believe

As mentioned,

72 was the last year for 8.75 in A's

73 HiPo cars got the 8.25 rear and went to BBP as well.

B&E's got 8.75's until 74 IIRC.

Way to go... Questioning his intelligence and all...

Care to share the seller's handle, so we can all keep an eye out?

There is no such thing as a BBP A-Body 8.75 from the factory....I know because I theorized and searched for YEARS to come to the conclusion..

Going BBP on a 52.5" wide A-body 8.75 requires C-Body axles cut and resplined or a new set of correct length axles...it also requires the backing plates, drums and other C-body components to complete the swap and be fuctional.

I only have 10 years of Mopar experience....don't insult my intelligence 8)

In his case, it sounds like 40 years of experience means he probably stopped learning anything new about 20 years ago.

I`ve always been of the same opinion as Prine,... that there were no BBP 8.75 A-bodies but I feel almost anything is possible??? Unless the seller bought the car new equipped like that then there is no way to tell what has been done to the car over the last 35 years. Will the axles/backing plates from a 8.25 interchange with the 8.75?

Look here. They are 4 1/2 in. bolt pattern axles out of my 8 3/4 rearend. NO INSPECTION PLATE. CHUNK REMOVES FROM FRONT. I have been dealing in MOPARS for 40 yrs now. EVERY 1973 340 DUSTER CAME OUT WITH AN 8 3/4 REAREND. DONT QUESTION MY INTELLIGENCE.

Now that's customer service! lol! Sorry to hear the guy was so rude to you Fishy. What a peckerhead.

Thanks for all the replies guys and the confirmation of what I thought.

I kinda thought the same that Longone mentioned, that it could be a leftover 8-3/4 from 72 and the Duster was an early 73 car but that still don't explain the large bolt pattern axles since there were no large bolt pattern A-body axles. Oh-well.

He goes by 67cudadriver and he lives in southern Illinois. I thought I'd seen that handle either on here or another board I get on but I searched and couldn't find it. Found a couple close but not exactly.

Funny thing is he has really good FB. Maybe he just had PMS yesterday:-D

Man, I learned something new. Now I wonder where my 8.75 axle came from now that I know it's not an A-Body?

In his case, it sounds like 40 years of experience means he probably stopped learning anything new about 20 years ago.

Good point Ace, people that think they're experts usually have stopped learning cuss they got they're eyes and ears closed.

Terry

-
Back