8 3/4 rear help

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an 8 3/4 from a friend. I thought it was an a body rear. I even pulled it out of a 72 demon. Its a 741 case with 2.94 open gears. So the story goes I clean it up and tonight i try to install it in my barracuda. I get it bolted to the perches, and one spring back up to the body. So I move over to the other side and notice its about 2'' from the holes. I measured the perches and the drums. Its 44'' on the perches and 58 1/2'' on the drums, and before i get it I know I should have done that before I tried to install it. :banghead:

So i guess what im asking is what is my best route here. I know Im going to have to move the perches. But should I have the tubes cut? I dont want it to be a a pain to find rims for it. Ive been laid off for a month now and with the rear out of the car it kinda holds me up on the rest of it. I cant afford to have a shop cut the tubes.:cry:

thanks guys

If he's your friend, return it and get one that fits the cuda.

you can send the housing to moser or strange and they will narrow it up correctly for not that much money. you can get your housing narrowed and a set of axels for less than $400

a-body housings are getting harder to find and costing more money. if your rear is complete I would just have it shortened. If it was me i would have them go 1" narrower then stock a body. that makes a 8" wide rim with 4.5" bs fit perfect. that is the most common/cheapest wheel spec out there,.

The b body rears are 44 inch on center (perch's), sounds like thats whatcha got.

Pm Badsport,, he's got a B-body rear axle in his Dart,, I believe he just had to move the spring perches in an inch each side, and has good fender clearance to tires..

Well, not sure what you paid for it. Did he tell you it was an A-body rear or did you just take for granite, because it came out of a A-body. If he told you it was I would make him give you a little of the cash back. Either way you need a route to go. Like one said you can send it out to Moser or Dr. Diff. (Cass). Have it cut down and set-up properly and that's gonna cost you money for labor and shipping,either way it has to be done. Good Luck.

58.5" is really only one rear I can think of... a 62-63 B body. That would have a set of splined hubs... If the axles have a nut/cotter at the end of them, it's not the best set up.

Have a pic of the axle ends?

Move the perches in and find the appropriate rims/tires you'll be fine.That is of course unless you are trying to stuff 300 series tires on the back.
Andrew

you can send the housing to moser or strange and they will narrow it up correctly for not that much money. you can get your housing narrowed and a set of axels for less than $400

a-body housings are getting harder to find and costing more money. if your rear is complete I would just have it shortened. If it was me i would have them go 1" narrower then stock a body. that makes a 8" wide rim with 4.5" bs fit perfect. that is the most common/cheapest wheel spec out there,.

Just had my housing narrowed and moser axles and I'm in it 900 bucks so I'm not sure where less than 400 gets it done. Less than 400 for axles maybe but not the whole shabang unless I'm missing something?

-
Back