8 3/4 Reinforcing

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am in the process of shortening an 8.75 housing and after cutting off the perches noticed grooves in the tubes from the original welds. I have noticed this on other housings in the past as well.
I measured the inside diameter of the housing at 2.5" and was wondering if there would be any benefit to adding a section of 2.5 O.D tubing to the inside of each side for strength?
20190409_200813.jpg

You could beef up the tubes but the center housing is still thin stamped metal.

That can be back braced.

This is going in my 68 Barracuda with a mild 360 (375-400 hp) with an 904 so its not really critical.
I just got to thinking about the tubes and wondered if anyone had done this.

My 360 has a tic over 400hp, with a manual trans, a CFII clutch, and a narrowed 8.75. The U-bolts sit right beside the bearing housings; she is narrowed to the max to use the offset hangers. I haven't looked at it in ten years or more, but the last time I had it out, it was fine. Jus saying

IMO if you're planning to race and worried you might bend it, just build a Dana 60.

If this was a dedicated race car that is exactly what I would do. But for a street/strip car 8.75s are nice because of the ease of gear swaps.
This is more of an idea exercise for discussions sake. It would be simple enough to do and cheap .

If this was a dedicated race car that is exactly what I would do. But for a street/strip car 8.75s are nice because of the ease of gear swaps.
This is more of an idea exercise for discussions sake. It would be simple enough to do and cheap .
gotta ask, how often do you plan to hit the strip?

This car will hit the strip 2 or 3 times per year and is not fast enough to require any strengthening mods.

This is simply a discussion on the possibilities of enhancements to 8 3/4s...

This car will hit the strip 2 or 3 times per year and is not fast enough to require any strengthening mods.

This is simply a discussion on the possibilities of enhancements to 8 3/4s...
Well, I'm not sure stuffing tubes inside tubes would help or not. I'm not sure how that would affect the seals for starters. I think you'd find it better to upgrade from the exterior and just sleeve the tubes, get bigger u bolts and perches. then back brace the center.

So how is this gonna work with the housing smaller where the seals butt up against. Are u gonna grind it out/mill it out. Or are the tubing ur using going in first b4 the ends are welded on or will the tubing be sticking out past where it’s cut off then welded inside the ends? Just curious. Kim

So how is this gonna work with the housing smaller where the seals butt up against. Are u gonna grind it out/mill it out. Or are the tubing ur using going in first b4 the ends are welded on or will the tubing be sticking out past where it’s cut off then welded inside the ends? Just curious. Kim

The ends have been cut off and I have new ends from Dr Diff that have yet to be installed. Thats what got me thinking about this .

The ends have been cut off and I have new ends from Dr Diff that have yet to be installed. Thats what got me thinking about this .

If you really want to strengthen the tubes without adding a ton of weight, replace them with CM seamless pipe of roughly the same size. MUCH stronger. Then add a back brace.

There is plenty of room for welding in the pumpkin hole to weld the inner end of tge tube as well.

-
Back