[WANTED] 8-3/4 SBP axle studs - need advice also!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Contact seller
I'm putting a rebuilt 8-3/4 rear end with 10" drum brakes in my 66 Valiant. I'm keeping the SBP wheels. My front brakes are getting swapped out for Kelsey Hayes discs which have been changed to all right hand thread studs. I want to change the studs on the left side of the rear end to RH thread also, but I'm having a very hard time finding something that matches the original studs.

My original studs are 7/16-20 with a .468 knurl diameter. If it makes a difference, the knurl has 23 splines. The rest of the dimensions are as follows:
A - .175"
B - .285"
C - 1.390"

STUD - ORIGINAL.JPG

I was able to find only 3 other RH studs, and they are close but not quite the same. Also .468 knurl diameter, but with 35 splines.
A - .185"
B - .280" knurl length, .405" total shoulder length
C - 1.380"

STUD - JOHN.JPG

After a junk-yard scrounging trip looking for anything even vaguely close, I found a full set of 10 of these from a 89 Olds. Knurl diameter .468 with 29 splines.
A - .250"
B - .180" knurl length, .275" total shoulder length
C - 1.550"

STUD - OLDS.JPG

My first choice is to find more of the original studs. If anyone has a full set to sell, please let me know.

It seems to me the second photo with the angled head is not as good a choice, as the shoulder is longer that the originals. Does this affect anything?

The round head studs from the Olds look to be a closer fit. If I have to use these, will the shorter knurl length make any difference in holding power so they don't twist inside the axle hole? Their longer overall length is not a problem, I have lots of room for a slightly longer stud.

Does the number of splines make any difference in the real world? It feels like the inside of the axle holes has indents that match the number of splines on the original studs. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I don't want anything to go wrong as I head down the road.

I'll take you left hand thread studs if your going to toss them! front and/or rear.

I just looked on rock auto and they have a dozen studs for various applications. I suspect the OE and the replacement will be slightly different in looks but function should be the same.

By the way I was looking at 68 dart with 383 which should get to a 8 3/4 rear end specification.

Here i have 10 correct Chrysler part number 2070158 NOS rear 7/16RH studs still available and would sell just 5 of them if that is what you need. They match the original studs in my 71 Duster small bolt pattern axles and have about 34 splines and an angled head. Let me know if your interested and i will provide additional details
[FOR SALE] - NOS Disc Brake Left Wheel Studs, and R & L Drum Studs and Nuts

Last edited:
If I get the correct RH studs, I will contact you about the LH studs - I will not be needing them.
Sounds good.

I have both front and rear LH on the left side. Just want to have some spares so when the tire store brakes them I can fix it. I even made magnetic plaques to tell the 18 year old tech which way to tighten.

Not sure if this helps you or not. I have 10 3 inch long 8 3/4 sbp studs . These were for drag racing as per NHRA.

Thanks to all for the help. I think I have my problem solved, if not I will be sending a PM for the correct studs.

Yes!! I found the exactly correct studs for this project as shown in photo #1 in the original post. In case anyone else needs the info, the part number is from Wagner, BD61237. I got the from Rock Auto (thanks Dana67Dart). That's the good news. The bad news is, they were on clearance and there were only 5 in stock and I got them all. But if someone else needs them at least you know what to look for.

watch the torque on the
Yes!! I found the exactly correct studs for this project as shown in photo #1 in the original post. In case anyone else needs the info, the part number is from Wagner, BD61237. I got the from Rock Auto (thanks Dana67Dart). That's the good news. The bad news is, they were on clearance and there were only 5 in stock and I got them all. But if someone else needs them at least you know what to look for.

Watch the torque on them if they are a bright silver . They are not the same quality as originals. I know the NAPA's I bought were usable but not near as strong. snapped two with an air gun that I use daily.

Thanks for the tip, I will hand-tighten them to final torque. These are the black ones, and look exactly like the originals.

Looks like rock auto has more but they are listed as the dealer closeout singles. I put in quantity of 100 and the site did not argue. I tried the set of 5 from standard stock and the site said they were out of stock.

for whatever it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back