Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdkenned360

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Time to retire the 7.25

Looking for an 8.75 housing for a 1969 dart. Doesn’t need anything else just the bare housing. Possibly interested in other parts(Center housing 742 or 489 or axles) but planning to upgrade brakes while building up the rear end.

Time to retire the 7.25

Looking for an 8.75 housing for a 1969 dart. Doesn’t need anything else just the bare housing. Possibly interested in other parts(Center housing 742 or 489 or axles) but planning to upgrade brakes while building up the rear end.

A-body housings are pricey. Suggest you also look for either B-body or C-body 8.75 housings and shorten it to A-body length. Should save you a few $$$.

A-body housings are pricey. Suggest you also look for either B-body or C-body 8.75 housings and shorten it to A-body length. Should save you a few $$$.

I haven’t looked much into cutting a wider one up. Is cutting down the housing somewhat diy? I have a decent welder and my welds I would say are ok.

I haven’t looked much into cutting a wider one up. Is cutting down the housing somewhat diy? I have a decent welder and my welds I would say are ok.

Two very important parts of narrowing a rearend are (1) getting the ends rewelded correctly so the axle flanges are perpendicular to the axis of the axles, and (2) making sure the rearend doesn't get warped by too much heat from the welding.
The previous owner of my '69 Dart project installed a B-body 8.75 that could still be used with custom-backspace wheels, but I already have the wheels I'm going to use on my Dart. I'm going to rely on a pro to narrow the rearend.
Good luck if you decide to do the narrowing yourself.

Two very important parts of narrowing a rearend are (1) getting the ends rewelded correctly so the axle flanges are perpendicular to the axis of the axles, and (2) making sure the rearend doesn't get warped by too much heat from the welding.
The previous owner of my '69 Dart project installed a B-body 8.75 that could still be used with custom-backspace wheels, but I already have the wheels I'm going to use on my Dart. I'm going to rely on a pro to narrow the rearend.
Good luck if you decide to do the narrowing yourself.

Yea I don’t trust myself enough for that. I guess I’ll see what/if any options I have for a body housings first and go from there.

I had a C-body housing shortened. It cost me $450 to have it done.

Get yourself an 8.25, or even an 8.8 from a Ford both will have a 4 1/2" pattern & the 8.8 should have disc brakes.

The best way is to use a jig that holds everything in the proper place. As mentioned, too much heat can turn it into a banana.

The guy that narrowed mine uses a long tube through the rear end housing to keep everything straight. A bare 489 case is bolted on and 4 "pucks"(don't know exactly what you call them) are placed in the axle housing. One on each end and two in the center section. The tube is slid through all four pucks to hold it straight while the ends are welded back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back