8.75 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion

-

aimplus

Reaction score
I am currently rebuilding an 8.75 rear end and want to convert to disc brakes.

In these econimic times I am looking for alternatives to the high $$$ aftermarket kits. I had heard that a Jeep disc brake setup will bolt on.

I am looking for confirmation of this. If true, what year(s) of Jeep parts can I use.

Thanks in advance.
AIMplus

I just ordered this kit for my '35 Ply coupe especially since I just removed the shortened 9" and am replacing it with an 8 3/4". I just couldn't stand not having it mostly Mopar. I say mostly because the Summit kit utilizes Ford rotors/calipers ... oh well. ;)

I am currently rebuilding an 8.75 rear end and want to convert to disc brakes.

In these econimic times I am looking for alternatives to the high $$$ aftermarket kits. I had heard that a Jeep disc brake setup will bolt on.

I am looking for confirmation of this. If true, what year(s) of Jeep parts can I use.

Thanks in advance.
AIMplus

I've heard that the rear disc set-up with rear mounted calipers from a Grand Cherokee up to about 97 or so will work with some minor mods. As I understand it, 1 hole has to be drilled in the caliper adapter since the Jeep axle only has 4 studs and our rear ends have 5. The other mod is the register hole has to be slightly enlarged. I'm contemplating this swap and as soon as I can get to the JY and get the parts, Iwill be attempting this (with pics of course).

That looks like a good system 383demon, looks like GM calipers, did you use that set up yourself?

I recently narrowed a dana 60 and put disc brakes on it. I used rotors from a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (front) and they were 5-lug and perfect fit on the axles. I used front calipers from an Aspen and they fit the thickness of the rotors. I made simple 2-eared tabs from 3/8 steel, welded to the axle tube. It looks great and works great for very little money. Speedway had all the components for the fittings and lines. I'll try to get Waggin over to post a couple of pictures of it.
Pat

That looks like a good system 383demon, looks like GM calipers, did you use that set up yourself?
The instructions on Summit's site says that the calipers are from a 87-88 Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe.

Scarebird uses the same calipers as TSMMFG, which are Cadillac Eldorado calipers.

rearconversion.jpg

I replaced the rear end in my wifes 95 explorer and found out it has disc brakes. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to rig something up. I am going to look into those jeep rotors.

Hi 65barracudadude. As soon as I can get Waggin over with his high resolution camera, we will post some pics of the Dana 60 with the front calliper set-up. Thanks.:cheers:
Pat

Hi 65barracudadude. As soon as I can get Waggin over with his high resolution camera, we will post some pics of the Dana 60 with the front calliper set-up. Thanks.:cheers:
Pat

Very Interested in this set up! Please post pics and information on the Year of calipers used!

the jeep rotors you need to get would be front vented ones off the box style cherokee, NOT grand cherokee, as those are 6 lug. the boxy small cherokee rotors are 5 bolt 4-1/2" circle a 3" setback, and a 11" diameter and are the same rotor weather its 2WD or 4WD. i should know i just bought a set to do my rear axle. they also slide right onto an 8-3/4" rear axle without trimming or modifying them.

i am going to buy a set of the speedway motors GM style rear calipers with integral park brake. they run $159 a pair brand new complete with pads and pins. the speedway motors weld on caliper mounts for these are 1/4" steel plate and are $9.99 each. i got my rotors used for $15.00 each out of the junk yard, but new they are only about $23.00 each so it wont really break the bank to buy em new anyways.

so for less than 200 bucks you can have 11" diameter rear discs and a killer WOW factor. i also picked up a set of 2-3/4" diameter piston calipers, caliper brackets, 12" rotors and dust shields off a 1978 chrysler cordoba. believe it or not these parts are a direct bolt in on the 73 to 76 A body spindle. i got all this for under $100 along with my cherokee rotors at $15 each. a killer haul, but more importantly i will have a killer 4 wheel disc brake setup for around $350 when all is said and done.

could also use the 1994 to 2004 ford mustang rotors and calipers... Bolt on with a little modification to the center hole. And no need to buy new axles, with the adapter plates i have fabbed up.

If you're trying to watch the budget, why not stick with the stock rear drums? They work well.

or, i have the complete setup on a jeep that i am junking in the am. 125 for everything you need

Someone out there needs to make an adapter kit for this deal! Seems like it would be relatively simple for somone who has the means to manufacture a machined steel plate. So instead of using the OE part and drilling and machining the opening, you buy the new plate, go to the junkyard, dealer or parts store to get the rest of the stuff and you're in business. All Mopar too!

BUT, as stated above, nothing wrong with properly working drum brakes. Many of those same 90s Cherokees were still using drum brakes. Disc brakes are not light either...

Someone out there needs to make an adapter kit for this deal! Seems like it would be relatively simple for somone who has the means to manufacture a machined steel plate. So instead of using the OE part and drilling and machining the opening, you buy the new plate, go to the junkyard, dealer or parts store to get the rest of the stuff and you're in business. All Mopar too!

BUT, as stated above, nothing wrong with properly working drum brakes. Many of those same 90s Cherokees were still using drum brakes. Disc brakes are not light either...

not that simple to use the disc brake from the cherokee. I sat for hours trying to think of a way to make an adapter plate to mount the caliper and still have a functional parking brake. This is why the switch to the mustang. It is all contained in the caliper.

-
Back