8.75 suregrip gear swap questions

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Guys, i got a 8.75 third member going to swap ring and pinion on to a suregrip cone unit. I was reading that taking the main caps on the carrier off one side is left hand thread and the other is right hand thread? is it good to mark everything to identiy which way the caps went on? Also any tips and tricks to removing the ring gears? the gear set will be set up afterwards, Thanks Again!

Which 3rd member? Regarding the main caps, I did mark mine when I took it apart. Not sure it's 100% necessary but that's what I did.

YES.....Yes, Mark them.
Center punch maybe 1-1 on one cap, one side. Then 2-2 on one side of the other cap.
Ring gear bolts are left hand but I never seen main cap bolts that were.
Save all shims to use as a starting point.

If you put the caps on backwards, the screw adjusters may be misaligned, and be hard to turn. When I get a unit with unmarked caps, I use the bearing races and adjusters to help align the caps, and if the bolts screw down ok, then it's right. But if not, I just flip the caps.

While the SG is out, you might as well go thru it.
I machine the bottom of the cones for minimum .050 clearance/.080 preferred. I use common radio solder correctly placed on the high point in the case,drop the cone in, and smack it down a couple of times,then extract the crushed solder and measure it.
After that, I inspect and repair the cross-pin and saddles,then
reduce the spider walk , then
reduce the side-gear to spider backlash. Usually this involves some die-grinder work to remove the ridges where the worn pattern meets the unworn.
Then,using the oil and SG additive pre-mixed, I lube everything up, and set the turning torque.
To do this, I have a pair of stub axles with a large nut welded onto the non-splined ends. I chuck one in the bench vise, then assemble the case over it,insert the second to align it all, and install the case-bolts. Finally, I dig out the torque-wrench and measure the turning torque. I'm not concerned about break-away torque,only turning torque after break-away.
For my combo 120ftlbs is about right, to affect loc-up in straightline, yet slips the inside tire around corners. 140 is too much/ 100 not enough. So I suppose the working range is 130 to 110, the heavy end preferred.
My combo is 295/50-15 BFG Radial T/As on 10s under a 68 Barracuda @3650pounds,me in it. This also works well with the 325/50-15 BFG Drag-Radials on 10s,at 3467race-weight, me in it..
Adjustment is by shimming or replacing the springs.
Don't forget to install the center axle-spacer, if using the tapered Timkin OEM axle bearings.
Don't forget to leave it out if using the Green bearings.

Last edited:
Are you putting a sure grip carrier in a case/gear that you have been useing? If so dont disturb the pinion unless you need to change bearings/seal. Just do as AJ said to the carrier and set backlash.

I'm guessing its not to hard of a job because an axle place charged me 65 buck to take a sure grip unit and install it into a 3:55 pig I had. He did all the back lash and whatever else needed done. For that price I figured I'd let the pro do it. This was like 2 weeks ago in Michigan. The place is an old place, with an old guy thats been doing it for 30 years. My favorite kind of place to get work done!

-
Back