800 mile road trip in a 2013 Challenger R/T

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I will fully admit to being susceptible to the rental car up-sell. In my extensive rental car experience, I have found that you can often (not always) get a better deal by asking about a high end car on the lot and making an offer on it, than you can by booking a "premium car" in advance. With that in mind, I tend to make a reservation for the cheapest possible option (which is usually ok with me anyway) but arrive a bit early to look over the inventory and keep my options open.

So when I arrived at Hertz, I looked around the lot and immediately my eyeballs were captured by a pleasing orange glow...there sat a 2013 Challenger R/T Classic reflecting copious amounts of sunlight in the Hemi Orange portion of the spectrum and my mind was instantly made up. I was able to work a fair deal on the car and off I went.
cool.gif

Over the course of the 800 miles I put on this car, it revceived more attention than anything I have ever driven...too much. "Bros" in pickup trucks revving their engines, old ladies smiling and pointing, children peering from the back seats of SUVs, one challenge from a modded C5 Corvette (which I declined with a smile and wave), numerous police officers with surprising neck-swivel capabilities...I will go to my grave insisting that this is one of the finest paint colors ever conceived but after this experience, I'm no longer certain I would buy a new Challenger in this color.

I have driven several cars on this platform including two earlier model year Challenger R/Ts...but this one was a bit different. The fairly generic looking interior still contains the Cerberus Capitol era gauge cluster and large expanses of blank plastic but it was clear that the materials and touch points were given some attention. The dash was soft, all of the controls had nice grippy rubber added to them to good affect. The leather front buckets were fairly deep but classic looking, very adjustable and two adults rode comfortably in the back seats. Uconnect remains the best electronics package in the business and worked perfectly for me...of course, interior snobs won't be impressed but I was generally pleased.

The paddle shiftrers were a plesant surprise. They are slick looking satin finished metal pieces with satisfying movement. I don't have too much experience with automatics in performance oriented cars but this one shifted quite hard on command and would chirp second gear when provoked.
638.gif

Anyone who writes these cars off as lumbering roadwhales hasn't driven a recent one. Substantial upgrades were made (2011 model year?) and it seems that more have been made since. I was struck by how well the car's weight is hidden during any steering inputs up to 6/10 of available grip. The steering is nicely weighted and quick (though a tad too sensitive on center), responses are immediate, body motions are very well controlled. Yes, if you fling it into a hairpin, the inertia of 2+ tons of Mopar will become apparent and traction will give way, but at no point (that I found) does the composure fall apart.

The 5.7L motor is a gem. It's not anywhwere near as hard-edged a Coyote 5.0 but it's strong everywhere and the big, friendly, eager personality of the engine perfectly suits the kind of car the Challenger is. There is a nice exhaust note at hgher RPM but like the other V8 coupes from 'Murica these days, the stock mufflers are far too polite.

If the onboard computer is to be believed, I managed 25.3mpg in mixed driving, 85% highway but with quite a few WOT runs thrown in there which was better than I was anticipating. Due to a shortage of legal opportunities, I was only able to attempt three 0-60mph runs (with passengers on board
wink.gif
), the best was a 5.30 seconds...also better than I had anticipated but fairly believable based on my well calibrated butt dyno.

The car is not perfect. While I will never get tired of looking at this bodystyle, that slab sided design is showing its age, particularly in the interior. The visibility is naturally poor with this car's exterior styling treatment (though still better than Camaro) but it seems like some compromise could be made on that front while maintianing that lovely profile. The good body control clearly comes at the cost of ride quality and the style demands cartoonish 20" wheels which are a bit of a curse. Some of the controls (like getting the transmission back fully auto) mode were awkward. Parking the car is a particular pain and requires a large amount of patience.

My overall impression of this car is extremely positive though. I found it to be thoroughly lovable and entertaining. I couldn't wait to hop back in to the car each time and I didn't want to turn it in at the end of the trip. The one underlying attribute that is keeping one of these cars out of my own garage is the size. If the car had the dimensions of a Mustang, it would need no excuses at all.

The cell phone pics below do NOT do the color any justice...the paint is vibrant and saturated in person.
cool.gif

Attachments

• Challenger RT 4-10 through 4-12.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Challenger RT quarter.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 254
Nice!!! I just wished they would compete with the others in horse power for the same price is the only issue I have with them. Almost 10 grand more and 50hp less than the stang or the marro! But I will say a 1000x's more style then the other guy's!

very cool, i rented one ( they only had a v6 :( ) last year for a week in Vegas and absolutely LOVED IT. the ride of those are outstanding. my wife wanted to trade her 200 hard top vert in for one when we got home. she's now waiting for the new barracuda to trade up, hopefully they will look like the chally's but with 70' cuda front and rear appeal. if not, i'm spying a 10' srt8 for her in furious fuchia not too far from me

*yawn* Good story. New cars can suck it JMO.

:D

Well, of course a 1970 Challenger is much more fun to drive and fairly easily made to be faster than this car but I'm not made of money and that's what it would take to fuel a 383 4bbl (nevermind the other engine options) for an 800 mile trip, nevermind the potential emotional and financial distress of even a minor fender bender in the original.

Personally, I'd prefer to always have one classic, one newer car...if possible.

I'm jealous. That sounds wonderful! And sorry new car haters, when it comes to traveling, options like cruise, A/C, good mpg, overdrive and tilt wheel makes a life better once you arrive. It is just too bad that car couldn't weigh in around 3400 lbs. A lot of cars out there about that size weighing a lot less. Pulled my '05 Grand Prix next to one in a parking lot, and I was longer, but the challenger was taller, and I'm no where near 4000 lbs.

That's a well written review from a car guy. On a par w Car & Driver or Road and Track. Vastly superior to Consumer Reports. Good job MR GTX. Have you driven a new Charger? We are in market for new or nearly new four door this year>

yes great review. no doubt.
a lot of us guys, we can't afford a new chally!?? so what do we do. for trips and traveling some miles, we got a 25-30 mpg beater! then at home sits our pride and joy, the gas sucking big block mopar, be it a 440-6 70 cuda, or 383 stuffed in the 65 cuda!???? LOL
if I had to shop for a new performance car, I admit I would look at the numbers: power, weight, handling, price etc ... for me personally, if ford won then that's what it would be...... but I can't afford such,..... so hold your hate mail guys!!!!!LOL
another thing to realize, does Ma Mopar ( Fiat) really have any concern about their loyal old car hobby crowd!???? NO only if we put some $$$$ in their pockets!????????? LOL

I drove a ScatPack HEMI R/T last year when I was thinking of buying one. Step on the Gas what a great car. But being the comfort junky I am...the ride reminded me of my short wheel base F150. But I sure was tempted. The other complaint was not being able to get a passenger side electrically adjustable seat. Yeah I'm spoiled. Sometime I wish I had bought the Charger. We just worried about making long road trips in it after being use to a CrownVic.

But 9 mos later I'm pretty happy with my 2010 Lincoln MKS that I got for about 9 grand cheaper. I was able to get them down to about 32-34K on the Challenger. But after about 2 weeks they still couldn't get a Grey Metallic Classic on the lot. Plus that's still a lot of money to spend on a car.

I did like the Challenger it was much more roomy than a Mustang.

-
Back