833 behind a stout 440?

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to swap my 727 out for a manual of some sort (like I do in all my vehicles) and am wondering if its worth putting an 833 behind it. The motor puts out just shy of 500 horse, do I need to get a Hemi 4 speed, or will any of them work? I’m more than likely leaning towards something with OD, since I have 3.91’s out back, and with the price of the Hemi 4 speeds, it would be an even swap price wise to get a T56 of some sort.

Any of them will handle that, but if you have access to the Hemi transmission, use it.

Last edited:
I would not use the OD 883 its not that strong, some of the cast cases can take a little more abuse.

Unless you plan on hammering on the car constantly or are dumping the clutch at high rpms with slicks the O.D should be ok... And at the price you can pick up a spare juzt in caze...lol

IDK about the odbox; I went thru 3 of those in one summer. On one, my 367 streeter sheared all the teeth off the input gear. On two others, I forgot about not putting power into the overdrive gear, and shifting it like a 4speed, I shattered those really teensey mainshaft gears. I highly recommend you figure out a way to lock out overdrive lol. That gear is for cruising only.

As far as I remember all of my factory 440, 4 speed cars came with the 18 spline hemi tranny. The od tranny is to weak for a 440.

Sounds like I would be better looking for a Hemi one then just to be safe. I'm still debating on getting something modern with OD, but having a hard time swallowing the cost. There was a local A-Body 833 and a big block bellhousing available for a good price, was thinking of grabbing that. I dont know what version 833 it is though, the CL ad didnt say.

Here's the trans, and there's a BB bellhousing for $250 not far from him.

Mopar A-body 4-spd. transmission, bell housing, etc. Dodge Plymouth

There's also a Hemi 4 speed a few streets over from me, but for that price, I could pick up a T56. If I went with the Hemi version, I would still need to swap tailhousings to an A body correct?
MOPAR HEMI 4 SPEED TRANS NICE GTX PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER

Last edited:
I was under the impression the 440 6-pack cars had 18 spline units and maybe A12 cars, not all 440 4 speed cars, could be wrong and always up for learning something.

I think if you are really that concerned, you can just get a HEMI input shaft. I think the rest is the same. The HEMI cars would twist the 23 spline units, hence the more stout 18 spline units.

I was under the impression the 440 6-pack cars had 18 spline units and maybe A12 cars, not all 440 4 speed cars, could be wrong and always up for learning something.

I think if you are really that concerned, you can just get a HEMI input shaft. I think the rest is the same. The HEMI cars would twist the 23 spline units, hence the more stout 18 spline units.

The Hemi trans had a different twist in the gears input not interchangeable

As far as I remember all of my factory 440, 4 speed cars came with the 18 spline hemi tranny. The od tranny is to weak for a 440.

I always understood 440s to have 18 splines as well.

As for the OD strength ...I ran one behind a 360 W2 Roller motor. But I am not the type to be dumping my clutch at every light.

The Hemi trans had a different twist in the gears input not interchangeable

That's the first time I've heard of that. Any pointers to documentation? Not trying to argue, just trying to learn something.

Somehow I missed the "OD" in the original post. I was just thinking 18 or 23 spline 833.

Still though, if you have the OD case bushed, that will greatly improve its power handling ability..........but I wouldn't put slicks on it and try to hook up.

page 13 of Jamie Passons book on 833s
15555990830954460518963417835241.jpg

page 13 of Jamie Passons book on 833sView attachment 1715321899

So the difference is not a literal twist or angle of the gears, just ratio's and the teeth on the input shaft, which is the same for 64-65A, and 75A, and 71-72 HEMI ad (edit) 77 and up OD... sounds interchangeable to me? What am I missing....?

Oh, and input bearing and retainer..

Last edited:
I have a 4 speed out of a 68 440 4bbl Charger and it is a 23 spline and it had a 8.75, my friend had 2 chargers with the track pak package 440 4bbl Hemi 18 spline 4 speed and a Dana 60. I don't think they came behind any 440, just the track pak cars. And 6 pack A12 cars, all 440 6 pack's

I think people get wrapped up in having the strongest possible 833 in existence.. How many people do you know who've actually busted one? I suspect not many.

As far as the OD units, if it's aluminum (which I "think" they all are?), you need to make sure the counter shaft support in the case is not worn. if it is, it can be bushed. Probably a good thing anyway.

The 833 is a stinking beast of a transmission.

I think people get wrapped up in having the strongest possible 833 in existence.. How many people do you know who've actually busted one? I suspect not many.

As far as the OD units, if it's aluminum (which I "think" they all are?), you need to make sure the counter shaft support in the case is not worn. if it is, it can be bushed. Probably a good thing anyway.

That was kind of my reason for posting. Is a 'standard' 833 enough to hold up behind a 500hp 440? It might get the occasional clutch dump on the street with 315 drag radials, but normally the vehicle would be moving then hammer down.

That was kind of my reason for posting. Is a 'standard' 833 enough to hold up behind a 500hp 440? It might get the occasional clutch dump on the street with 315 drag radials, but normally the vehicle would be moving then hammer down.

I think its easy for people to forget the HEMI transmission wasn't built for the driving customers, it was built for the racers that drove the specs. You had to use parts that were "normal" production parts etc for a lot of racing back in the day. That's why we have winged cars.

I've never seen a broken one. OD or otherwise.

No sir. All the A body units I've seen "so far" have had a cast iron main case and aluminum tail shaft. All the truck OD units I've seen are the other way around. Aluminum main case and cast iron tail shaft. I have one hangin off my 331 Hemi right now.

No sir. All the A body units I've seen "so far" have had a cast iron main case and aluminum tail shaft. All the truck OD units I've seen are the other way around. Aluminum main case and cast iron tail shaft. I have one hangin off my 331 Hemi right now.

Thanks, good to know. Gotta love these threads!

-
Back