833 side cover interchange

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the later style (71 up?) interlock side cover and shift forks can be used on an earlier style (70 down?) transmission. I believe that the interlock is better..... and I know from personal experience that the later style shift forks are stronger. I have broken the old brass ones before.

Has anyone done this? Does one style offer better shifting than the other? Can just the side cover and forks be changed or does the reverse interlock cam need to be changed as well?

Thanks!

Yes you can interchange them, I believe the reverse interlock is the same, I have built a lot of these, and in almost every case I switch to ball and detent style, less moving parts, and in my personal opinion it’s a better design than the interlock style. I have seen springs break on the interlock style, which is there weak point.

Yes you can interchange them, I believe the reverse interlock is the same, I have built a lot of these, and in almost every case I switch to ball and detent style, less moving parts, and in my personal opinion it’s a better design than the interlock style. I have seen springs break on the interlock style, which is there weak point.
Excellent, thanks. That makes sense. The new replacement shift forks for the old style are not brass any more, so that weak spot is gone.

-
Back