833OD into 78 D100 questions

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I have a 78 short bed stepside D100 with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree. I also have an 833OD that has a longer tail shaft as well as a disassembled regular 833 that comes with a shorter A body tail shaft. I have the slant 6 bellhousing for the OD trans as well as z bar, clutch fork and a bunch of other parts.

Since it already has a 3 on the tree, is it going to be a lot easier to install than if it had an auto? Can I use the clutch and pressure plate from my 3 on the tree tranny? Will the z bar work with the OD tranny? I'm trying to find out what existing pieces I can use to make the swap easier.

There are only two different length tail shafts right? So I'm assuming the long tail shaft on the 833 OD is going to be the correct one for my truck? I'm going for mileage so I want the OD over the regular 4 speed.

Do I need a 4 speed truck floor hump or will an a body floor hump work?

Will I need to get the drive shaft shortened or will I need to find another drive shaft thats longer?

I'm kind of confused on the OD shift pattern when people start talking about the linkages being flipped upside down. Is it going to be

1......OD
|____|

or will 3rd gear be up top with OD on the bottom?

I'm sure I have a million more questions but I'm just trying to gather all the info I can before I start in on the project. Thanks.

The long tailshaft tranny is the correct for your pickup. When the front lever on the tranny is flipped tranny will be in the 1:1 gear ratio when the lever is in the thrid gear position and will be in the OD ratio with the lever in forth.

I pulled an A833OD from a D100 for my cuda an the z-bar from the car mated to the OD bell housing with no issues (this was a /6 setup too).

I don't recall a hump on the floor of the truck but the boot had a plastic base that fit the contour of the floor. The shifter mounted to a play that positioned the shifter above the tranny an slightly behind the front mount on the tranny.

You will likely find the slip yoke of your 3sp won't fit the A833OD.

Thanks for your reply dgc.

I'm having trouble finding clear pictures but it almost looks as if the 4 speed trucks have more of a squared off hump while the auto's have a round hump. I wonder if this is going to work or not?

2 wheel drive trucks with the OD use the same floor pan as the 3-speed manual or auto.
I have the factory plastic shifter mount for the floor with a boot that is correct for your truck, transmission.
The flywheel will be a 122 tooth for the bellhousing. I don't think your current flywheel will work but check the tooth count to be sure.
I have all of these parts for sale cheap, pm me.

-
Back