9,25" Rearaxle

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

are the 9,25 rears used in ram vans are always 8 bolt? I´m searching for a good cheap and strong rear for my valiant.

Is there a company where i can get custom shafts after shortening the housing to make it fit the car?

anybody did this conversion?

thanks guys

Michael

Im going to use a 9.25 in my scamp and randy's ring and pinion has everything for that rear end moser will make axles for 360

8 bolt wheels generally signifies it's a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle. I'm not positive but I don't think they ever used a 9-1/4 in a 3/4 or 1 ton. All the older (70's and 80's) 9-1/4's I've seen have a 5 on 4-1/2" axle pattern.

heavy halfs had 9 1/4s, late 70's to 93. 5 on 5.5, also there were some a small bolt pattern 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 4 3/4. All 94 up halfs had 9 1/4s. 5 on 5.5
light 3/4 ton trucks had 8 lug 9 1/4s, 3/4 ton and some 1 ton vans had 9 1/4s all 8 lug but the half ton vans had the 5 on 5.5 9 1/4s.... easy to tell apart the 8 lugs they were semi float rears (no monster hub and axle bolts)
its a good axle, dana 60 is a 9.5. ring... biggest downfall ive ever come across is pinion bearings were junk, noise at 39k miles... and c clip axles. early axles pre 81 or 82 took different c clips and side gears. the carriers are cool because it doesent matter if you have a 3.21 ratio you can use a 4.56 on it they werent series specific ie. 4.10 down
$ .02

Hi guys,

someone offered a 9.25" to me with Axles that have 5x5,5" bolt circle, so this must be from a truck. Do these rears always have the same housing ends or are they different regarding the application? I want to know if i can put some brakes from a c-body on it for example, even if it is from a truck.

Thank you!

regards Michael

i have both truck axles early and late i can measure to see if bolt patterns are the same.... what size brakes are on your c body height and width

oh, i don´t have the brakes. Just want to make sure if the housing ends on all 9.25 rears are the same (Truck and car) to know if the brakes from a car (with the 5x4,5" bolt circle drum) will fit. Just want to make sure if i can get the swap into my Valiant done without too much investment - if it´s too expensive i can buy a A body 8,75, but the goal is the strongest rear for the least amount of money.....

Michael

In MoparAction -94 was article, making 9,25 as cheap alternative to Dana60. New perches, housing ends for 8,75/Dana and custom axles from Moser. I have same project as procress...

I have copy some where...

seems by the time you shorten and buy new axles an 8.25 would be a better choice unless youre making a ton of power. or a 8.75 b rear with offset rims. Those axles are available for a few hundred bucks

seems by the time you shorten and buy new axles an 8.25 would be a better choice unless youre making a ton of power. or a 8.75 b rear with offset rims. Those axles are available for a few hundred bucks

unfortunately not here in germany where i live. 8.75" Stuff is very expensive, even an A-body or F-body 8,25" will cost much more than a good used 9,25". Most car axles are 2.xx gears and open diff - who needs that? 8)

So i continue searching, yesterday i saw an offer for a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. Contacted the seller, if it´s a sure grip with 3,23 to 3,73 then i will get this one.

Thanks for your support!

Michael

unfortunately not here in germany where i live. 8.75" Stuff is very expensive, even an A-body or F-body 8,25" will cost much more than a good used 9,25". Most car axles are 2.xx gears and open diff - who needs that? 8)

So i continue searching, yesterday i saw an offer for a Ford 8.8 from an explorer. Contacted the seller, if it´s a sure grip with 3,23 to 3,73 then i will get this one.

Thanks for your support!

Michael

Do you plan on narrowing the 8.8 if you get it? Reason I mention this is because contrary to some reports I've read they are much wider than an A-body rearend so it'd be necessary to narrow it.

Do you plan on narrowing the 8.8 if you get it? Reason I mention this is because contrary to some reports I've read they are much wider than an A-body rearend so it'd be necessary to narrow it.
from an explorer? yes. from some mustangs? no. depends on the year

It´s from an explorer. I´ve read a lot of stuff here and somewhere else, know about the length difference. Maybe make this my first axle shortening project...we´ll see. Thank you guys for the information.

regards Michael

I am also doing a 8.8 now, the center section is offset and only the long side needs to be shortened to the short side length. Then you can just buy another short side axle and use it.

judge mills and 72dart_swinger: please let me know how it works. Yesterday i found a good thread here of a complete swap - very nice. looks like the way to go....

regards Michael

Mine is bolted in the car with no brakes on it yet. I am in college and dont get to work on it much. I found out that you will have to modify the explorer shock plates if you use those.

Personally, I'm using the stock Mopar shock plates... that's what most guys are doing.... That way everything still lines up correctly, easier to buy shocks, etc...

I couldnt do that, I went from 7.25 to the 8.8 and the 7.25 shock plates were not wide enough to use or modify

-
Back