9 inch ford

-

Josh toland

Reaction score
I put a 9 inch ford in my 73 dart, just wondered what guys are doing with driveshaft, do i have to get a new one made or are there adapter u joints available. Its a 318 with a 904 trans
Thanks for any info

If you managed to get the ford driveshaft with the rear end then all you have to do is take the ford driveshaft and the mopar driveshaft to the driveshaft man and tell him to make a new shaft with the mopar front end and the Ford back end. That's what I did. If you don't have the ford driveshaft you might have to remove the pinion yoke to take with you so the driveshaft guy knows what type of u-joint to put the rear of the mopar shaft.

I put a 9 inch ford in my 73 dart, just wondered what guys are doing with driveshaft, do i have to get a new one made or are there adapter u joints available. Its a 318 with a 904 trans
Thanks for any info
I put a ford 8.8 under my dart..go to DennysDriveshafts.com and they have all the universal parts you’ll need to complete the swap.

You may need to have a new drive shaft made, or shorten an used one. Besides the different u-joint sizes the dimension of the centerline of the u-joint to the centerline of the axle is different from a 7 1/4" compared to a 9" ford. You need to measure to see exactly what length you need. I have the same problem with a 9" out of a Lincoln Versailes in my '67 Barracuda. If you do a search you can find the dimensions for most Mopar rear axles to compare to your 9" at least for a comparison. But you still really need to measure to do it right.

If you managed to get the ford driveshaft with the rear end then all you have to do is take the ford driveshaft and the mopar driveshaft to the driveshaft man and tell him to make a new shaft with the mopar front end and the Ford back end. .

You may or may not be able to do this, depending on the size of the tubes. You need to pilot the yoke casting into the tube. On my old Landcruiser, years ago, I came up with some Bronceroid shafts which had bad CV joints. Cut those off and used the slip yoke end at the (Spicer) transfer case, and had some spacer rings made up to insert the smaller Landcruiser yokes from the old shafts into the Bronco tubes

-
Back