-
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Need 9 inch hub and drum with left handed threads for 68 Barracuda. Must be in very good usable condition. Car is a driver but need something good to start with and match the existing one.

P1050791.JPG

P1050792.JPG

If you're in no hurry, I will be pulling one from my car this winter to replace it with KH disc brakes. PM if interested.

If you can find those drums, new reproductions... You would reuse your hub, bearings, and lug studs. You would need a 7/16 swedge cutter to separate those OEM assemblies.
The downside is so many owners choose to upgrade to some brand/type of disc brakes. There is no market demand for these drums, hubs, or left hand studs. Thus reproductions would be small lots, and outrageously priced by comparison. Good hunting

If you can't find one from somebody else, i can get one from this car that i left the brake drums in the trunk of the car after i pulled the lower control arms off of it.
But i have no tool to measure the accurate diameter of the drum before machining.
You pay me in advance for the part, and the shipping charge, which i'm sure won't be cheap as drums aren't exactly feathers, and i can go and get it for you.

PNP#86.JPG

If you can find those drums, new reproductions... You would reuse your hub, bearings, and lug studs. You would need a 7/16 swedge cutter to separate those OEM assemblies.
The downside is so many owners choose to upgrade to some brand/type of disc brakes. There is no market demand for these drums, hubs, or left hand studs. Thus reproductions would be small lots, and outrageously priced by comparison. Good hunting
Thanks for the response. Would not expect to find reproductions and the thought of trying to separate and successfully install new drum to hub seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Have a lead on a left side hub. Can punch out stud and hope my hub is not too damaged. Prior owner installed right hand stud for something. It's loose. Think splines are damaged.

If you can't find one from somebody else, i can get one from this car that i left the brake drums in the trunk of the car after i pulled the lower control arms off of it.
But i have no tool to measure the accurate diameter of the drum before machining.
You pay me in advance for the part, and the shipping charge, which i'm sure won't be cheap as drums aren't exactly feathers, and i can go and get it for you.

View attachment 1715412715
Hi. I purchased two spindles from you. Not installed yet. Thought I get the car on the road first then decide on where to take it. Would like to take you up on your offer if willing and the drums match what I have. If you think are different then need both.

To send a member a PM, you click on their screen name, then click the line that says "start a conversation". I just sent you one, check your personal email for the notification.

Thanks for the response. Would not expect to find reproductions and the thought of trying to separate and successfully install new drum to hub seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Have a lead on a left side hub. Can punch out stud and hope my hub is not too damaged. Prior owner installed right hand stud for something. It's loose. Think splines are damaged.
There's the thing. You don't punch or pound out anything. The OEM studs are pressed into the hub and then swedged over the drums holes. Cut the swedge away and the drum falls off, studs and hub intact. This was common practice back in their day.
If the swedge was actually required, modern vehicles would also have drums and/or rotors swedged to there hubs.
Same for left hand threads on left side of vehicles. If the lug nuts are properly torqued they are not going to back off regardless of thread direction.

The drums are readily available. Napa, Summit and Rock Auto all list them. Right hand thread lug studs are listed at Napa. Left hand thread studs might take a little looking, but can probably be found if you need to replace them and want to keep them.
Cut the swedges, replace the drum and any bad lug studs and go.

The parts manual lists the lug stud as part number 2409809.
Arizona Parts shows four available at $1.50 each. Shipping will be extra. The owner is Martin Kolner. I've purchased from him twice this year with no problems, but it took a couple of tries to get ahold of him by phone. Quick Search List
There are also some on eBay for $6.95 each with free shipping.

Source for proper 7/16 I.D. swedge cutter and alternatives are in a thread here somewhere.

Well I could not stand it. Goggle searched drum swedge cutting tool. Looks like an over size spot weld drill. Found one for 1/2 and 9/16 inch studs. It all makes sense.

At this point, is new drum allowed to float like rear drum held on by wheel lugs? If not how is new drum fixed to hub?

Hey, don't know where you are at on this effort, but I have 1 drum, not sure if it's left, but Chrysler changed to all rights at sometime, so it would not be a deal breaker for me. I am in Midlothian, just south of Dallas. Let me know if you are interested, I can check the thread tomorrow.

Well I could not stand it. Goggle searched drum swedge cutting tool. Looks like an over size spot weld drill. Found one for 1/2 and 9/16 inch studs. It all makes sense.

At this point, is new drum allowed to float like rear drum held on by wheel lugs? If not how is new drum fixed to hub?

If you Google the following, you'll come up with a few threads here with alternatives to using a swege cutter: "7 16 swedge cutter site:www.forabodiesonly.com" Ignore the hyperlink, and just put the quoted part in the Google search box.

Yes, the drum floats, as you say, with the clamping force of the wheel squeezing it plenty tight.

Before I started cutting or drilling, I'd be checking out Hyper_Pak's offer!

Good luck.

I tried to get him a drum, Friday, out of the car in an above reply of mine, without any success.
Somebody else removed the HUBS from the drums, and left the drums in the trunk of the car, along with other parts that were still there, that didn't get picked over.
Sounds like Hyper Pack can still fix him up.

After all I've learned about swedging process I don't understand why someone would want to separate the two.

hemi71x
Thanks for your efforts. Really had high hopes on your success.

Hyper_pak
Will send you PM to schedule visit.

After all I've learned about swedging process I don't understand why someone would want to separate the two
To replace a worn out drum only is why.
If you'll replace the hub you'll need to keep the bearings as matched inner and outer parts. To buy new bearings and grease seal would be optimal.
The better question is why the drum was swedged to the hub. It's much like the left hand threads on left side of the car. Or the odd little clip on a contact stud to ventilate the mechanical limiter mounted inside a fuel gauge. Yeah that went away too. All examples of what their engineers deemed necessary only for a period of time.

Option? Do I swap front brakes to 10 inch. I assume this requires replacing spindle as well. I met a gentleman at a car show that may have a set. If so, what specifically do I want? Meaning are there different 10 inch assemblies preferred over others? I regret this path. Had all my 9 inch brake parts cad plated, new shoes, new wheel cylinder and drums turned.

Ok. I know the spline wedges the drum to the hub, so when you take the wheel off the assembly stays aligned. In my opinion you could get a new stud, clean the hole up as best you can and use it that way. The other 4 will hold the hub and drum and then the 5 will sandwich them when you torque the lugs down. Unless the hole is really hogged out I think you will be ok. I once converted a 4 inch drum set to 4.5 by using a wheel adapter as the drill template. I just flushed the old studs off with a grinder, left them in and then pressed the new studs in. Never had any troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back