90 Degree filter gasket?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Hi folks I need some help.
I pulled the 90 degree oil filter adapter off my 1971 318. Do I need to order a new paper gasket or can I just RTV it and slap it back on?

Thanks for the time and advice.

I get away with using RTV for a lot of things, but I would have to recommend trying to get some gasket material and make a new one.
Unless you have a gasket available that is.

(Then coat it with a light coat of RTV and put it together.) :)

You can buy a gasket kit for those adapters. Just Google for it, I think I bought mine from Mancini Racing.

Dang..

Well I went and bought a sheet of cork and am just gonna make the gaskets.
3 Gaskets? I count 2.
A large thick one from adapter to block and a smaller one from bolt to adapter.
What gasket am i missing?
Normaly I would order the correct parts but the weather is calling for two feet of snow and I gotta move this car out of the drive way so I can get the boat on the lawn... dont wanna piss of the plow guy this early in the season....

Getting that gasket off the block is proovi g tricky.
I bought gasket remover and it says "Non toxic, Low odor, Voc complaint" What the hell? frickin California....

Thanks for the input guys, Ill let you know if I get a leak.

Dang..

3 Gaskets? I count 2.
What gasket am i missing

Buy a copper washer or the like for the big bolt. That's the one you're missing.

Dang..

3 Gaskets? I count 2.
What gasket am i missing?
Normaly I would order the correct parts but the weather is calling for two feet of snow and I gotta move this car out of the drive way so I can get the boat on the lawn... dont wanna piss of the plow guy this early in the season....

Getting that gasket off the block is proovi g tricky.
I bought gasket remover and it says "Non toxic, Low odor, Voc complaint" What the hell? frickin California....

Thanks for the input guys, Ill let you know if I get a leak.

I wouldn't worry about a leak as much as I would taking out a crankshaft because the inner gasket to block gasket on the bolt is incorrect and unfiltered dirt gets in a bearing!! Just my .02 from experience!
Oh yea, mine was only a 340

Anyone got a torque value on the large oil filter adapter bolt?

I did not see an inner gasket?
would that have been around the small hole in the center?
it looks like mine was just a metal on metal seal?
guess I better take a closer look.

Thanks again.

I think its 35. The gasket is a **** to get off, scrape it and make sure you get it all. I made my gasket out of the black roll and salvaged the bolt gasket. It was rigid like copper.

Honestly why take a chance, the gasket kit is like on $15.00 you can buy it from Summit, Jegs etc...........

sorry what is the "black roll"?

The cork I bought is Mr. Gasket brand and is 1/16" thick, Dose this sound Ok?
I just need the car to move under its own power for a day then I can order the right parts and redo it.. Thank god its on the passanger side...

Thanks for all the time and advice.

i think I got a sheet of rubber gasket material but Im having trouble locating it.

I looked under the car and at both sealing surfaces and I see no sign of any inner gasket..?

See the black color of the large gasket? That's the material I made, one out of. I think its called fiber gasket material. Auto zone or oreilly. Carries it.

I get away with using RTV for a lot of things, but I would have to recommend trying to get some gasket material and make a new one.
Unless you have a gasket available that is.

(Then coat it with a light coat of RTV and put it together.) :)

X2 that's what I did.

-
Back