904 govenor rod clips?

-

Nick Mailloux

Reaction score
So I'm getting my 904 all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. The govenor has two weights the large and the small on with the rod that goes through them. In all the books and manuals I have this rod has a single clip on each end, but my trans has one on the large weight side and two on the sma weight side. Why is this? Won't this change the way it works because the small weight can't slide out as far?

IMG_20190612_172333.jpg

So I'm getting my 904 all cleaned up and ready for reassembly. The govenor has two weights the large and the small on with the rod that goes through them. In all the books and manuals I have this rod has a single clip on each end, but my trans has one on the large weight side and two on the sma weight side. Why is this? Won't this change the way it works because the small weight can't slide out as far?

View attachment 1715348487

That won't make one bit of difference in how it works.

Thanks! Also my trans is assembled now. I'm air checking it, every thing works so far. Both servos work great. The front clutch gives a nice thunk with minimal leakage, but the rear clutch hisses alot of air out of the converter seal and port, I can hear it move but it's not a thunk, is this normal?

Thanks! Also my trans is assembled now. I'm air checking it, every thing works so far. Both servos work great. The front clutch gives a nice thunk with minimal leakage, but the rear clutch hisses alot of air out of the converter seal and port, I can hear it move but it's not a thunk, is this normal?

The rear most drum (known as the forward or direct drum) never sounds the same as the front and has more places for air to get by on it's way there.
You are probably ok.

It's confusing because the rear drum is the one used for all forward gears, hence the "forward" clutch. But the front drum is used for reverse and third; sometimes called the "reverse/high" clutch, or the "direct" clutch. You might insert the converter for a test. Or turn the input shaft.

Thanks for confirming! I actually just did more research and found an old service bulletin about it. It's to prevent the govenor from making a buzzing sound in certain conditions.

Screenshot_20190614-122326.png

It's confusing because the rear drum is the one used for all forward gears, hence the "forward" clutch. But the front drum is used for reverse and third; sometimes called the "reverse/high" clutch, or the "direct" clutch. You might insert the converter for a test. Or turn the input shaft.
I'm getting my new converter Monday, I'll definitely give that a shot. And yes molars terminology of front and rear vs other manufacturers terminology calling them direct and forward confuses lots of people lol.

-
Back