904 help needed I'm confused

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 904 awhile back, the guy said was out of a 78 or 79 aspen. I posted the # on the pan rail which is 1 PK2892027 2292 0000. A member here says its a 68 according to his book. So when I look up a kit on Ebay they offer kits that fit 62 -65 and another from 66 -92. Looks like the early kit has 6 clutch discs and the later ones have 8
Dodge A904 904 Torqueflite 6 Transmission DLX Rebuild Kit TF-6 TF6 1962-1965 | eBay

Dodge A904 904 Torqueflite 6 Transmission DLX Rebuild Kit TF-6 TF6 1966-1992 | eBay

which is the right kit? My 904 has 3 discs in each pack.

thanks for any help

I wish it was a 76 or something or 77 I can't remember. It would have like five disc's in the front and 4 in the back. And the band is bigger. around here generally cores go for fifty to eighty bucks and I would start with a good one with more disc's. I don't think this will likely be available for you, but we have a couple transmission warehouses here in town and getting the parts close by incase there is something missing or is wrong it's easy to just go get them. All the kits will be within $20 or so.

simple thing is to disassemble trans to actually see what is in it....then order parts.....

Something to know about the kits... they will come with the maximum number of disks necessary for a particular year range. So the kit may come with 8 discs but your application may only use 6.
After your clutch packs are apart, you measure to see if you have room to add another clutch disc. There is play room in a torqueflite to change snap rings and clutch disc and have great results.
Lastly the clutch discs will be different thicknesses based on wether they belong in the front or the rear clutch.

Something to know about the kits... they will come with the maximum number of disks necessary for a particular year range. So the kit may come with 8 discs but your application may only use 6.
After your clutch packs are apart, you measure to see if you have room to add another clutch disc. There is play room in a torqueflite to change snap rings and clutch disc and have great results.
Lastly the clutch discs will be different thicknesses based on wether they belong in the front or the rear clutch.
??? My kit came with 4 and I needed 5?
Like 70aarcuda said it was a different story once I opened it up. That's why I said try and get the kit local. Humans package these kits.... The tail shaft seal not even the transmission wearhouse people (who see everything) could figure out what it went too..

??? My kit came with 4 and I needed 5?
Like 70aarcuda said it was a different story once I opened it up. That's why I said try and get the kit local. Humans package these kits.... The tail shaft seal not even the transmission wearhouse people (who see everything) could figure out what it went too..
The older rear seals were 2.25 od. Around 68 up were 2.375. National 8935S oldies.

-
Back