904 / New Converter, abnormal noise

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys, got some Trouble with my new installed 8" custom made converter. I proudly put it in few days ago, made a test drive today (around 15 miles). When i was back home i noticed a strange noise in P and N, in D it was much less noticable.

Put the car on the hoist, clearly coming from converter area. When i rev it, the frequency of the noise is going up also, but with little delay. I noticed when i shut the engine down then there´s still some of this noise for a second. I think sth. went wrong with the converter, sth. damaged inside. What do you think? Any way to check this out better?

Dont want to kill it and my trans, too…..

Michael

Pull the inspection cover & see if the bolt heads are scarred from hitting the webbing at the back of the block.

Video won’t work for me. Like said above and check to make sure the bolts. Are tight to the converter and to the crank. Did u change the flexplate also? Kim

Did you double check the fluid level and is it full of bubbles?

Convertor shout correct fit to crank register? New bolts long enough through blocks to dimple the converter shell ?

no, there´s no contact between bolts and block,

Bolts wouldn't be hitting the block, but they might hit the inside of the inspection cover, did you pull the cover and look? If not, I would do so.

Video doesn't work for me either. But if it's a chirpy/light clunky sound it may very well be the torque converter bolts hitting the cover, happens quite frequently.

Bolts can be tight & still rub the block webbing if the converter is not seated all the way & / or the original type thin head bolts were not used.

i checked the converter snout before Installation, it fit´s perfectly into the crank after removing some paint. The welded on tabs are pretty Long and massive, so i do not think the bolts (ARP 7/16") Bottom out. Installation went smooth without Trouble.

Inspection cover removed, no contact between bolts and cover or block.

Fluid Level was carefully adjusted….what would cause it to bubble?

I´ll contact the manufacturer (PTC), maybe they have an idea what can go wrong inside. I wanted to get into the tens finally with this converter….seems my best bet is to remove trans / converter again.

Michael

The welded on tabs are pretty Long and massive, so i do not think the bolts (ARP 7/16") Bottom out.

It's not that they bottom out, the HEAD of the bolt can hit the inspection cover. If you haven't checked it, I would do so before making any phone calls.

My S800 from Turbo Action required a front pump bushing replacement to babbitt lined. The OEM bushing is to soft. Check the instructions that came with your converter.

It's not that they bottom out, the HEAD of the bolt can hit the inspection cover. If you haven't checked it, I would do so before making any phone calls.
Its both. Flex plates aren't all the same thickness. Nut blocks aren't all the same thickness either. Bolts that are too long can dimple the converter shell beneath the block and cause internal damage. There isn't a lot of clearance in there.
There were threads in forums about PTC convertors ballooning too but that was several years ago, about the same time the aftermarket fan shrouds were melting.

No tranny expert, but years ago I ran a 8" converter that had a ring gear welded to the converter with spokes. The spokes were just thick and long enough to make slight contact with the starter. I couldn't see it through the inspection area until I removed the converter. A little grinding on the corners of the spokes fixed it. Dunno if that's your problem. ..

Thanks @all for your comments. I´ll check it out more tomorrow after work, will check length of bolts, starter and so on. I´ll contact manufacturer also if they have an idea…..6 weeks to the first race ;-)

Michael

Would be very curious as to what this turns out to be. My friend has an 85 Dodge crew cab with a 5.7 hemi conversion. The 727 has a new/reman stock convertor that makes the exact same noises.

Ok, took starter out and the inspection cover off. Absolutely no Signs of contact there or at the converter. The bolts are correct length, the mounting tabs are a little longer than the bolts - nothing obviously wrong…..so i´m waiting for manufacturer to come back to me, hope they have some suggestions regarding troubleshooting.

converter bolt.jpg

I’m sure that bolt is loose just for reference? Take the 4 bolts out of the converter, push it back. Then see if u can wiggle the flexplate ahead and back or side to side. Kim

yes, bolt is loose just for reference. I removed it to check the length / depth of the attaching holes.

Ok, i´ll remove all bolts and check if the Flexplate is tight…..at least it was some years until i put in the new converter.

Michael

yes, bolt is loose just for reference. I removed it to check the length / depth of the attaching holes.

Ok, i´ll remove all bolts and check if the Flexplate is tight…..at least it was some years until i put in the new converter.

Michael

A quick and easy way to check the dust cover is to push in on it slightly in a couple of different places while the engine is running.
If that's what the sound is coming from it'll change drastically when you push in on it a little. (by the starter, down at the bottom and up on the passenger side)
I like to use a hammer handle or the like instead of my hands in case a bolt catches an edge of the inspection opening or up close to the block somewhere.
That sounds like either loose flex plate to crank bolts or the converter to me.
I would have to pull the pan and make sure the converter isn't dumping metal in it, because it'll trash that trans pump right now.

Flexplate is tight.

One good Thing: absolutely no signs of metal or other material in the Fluid. Waiting for manufacturers reply.....

Michael

not yet, have to remove trans anyway. Manufacturer got back to me, i´ll send the converter back for checking. Hope all goes well, wanna race end of may.

If it´s there and i get a feedback i´ll let you know.

Michael

When you pulled the converter out, did you notice any abnormal wear on the converter hub, and did you notice any material in the oil you drained out of the unit?

Hi, absolutely no signs of foreign material in the fluid. I´ll remove the trans this weekend, will take a pic!

Michael

removed the trans today, no signs of abnormal wear on the converter hub. But i found sth. strange at the reaction shaft, the Splines are somewhat "gone".....any clue what can cause this?

I did not notice this before instalallation of the new converter. Is the shaft still ok, or should i replace it?

20190412_155154.jpg
20190412_155211.jpg

-
Back