904 Shift cable removal

-

JoePowers

'65 Barracuda, my daughter's high school ride
Reaction score
I need to remove the shift cable to re-sheath it and re-route it because previous owner had it where it was binding the throttle linkage. And it cut into the rubber causing a leak.

I was wondering if this end is threaded into the case or do I just pull it out? Thanks!

20221015_102830.jpg

Nevermind. I got it out! I just needed to pull it.

PO put a lot of sealant on it. Wonder if I should do the same when reinstalling it?

"Just pull it" isn't proper. The shop manual shows how to release the catch. You insert a long thin screwdriver in-line with the cable and rotate it (cw or ccw, forget), to push the radial arm of a wire spring which latches the end of the shift cable away from the cable tip. Next time you have the pan off, look at that spring. Similar for the park cable end. Also a good time to adjust the cable since you can clearly see the detents on the internal shift rod. Adjustment means matching the detents (and indicator) in your cabin shifter to those inside the transmission.

I similarly fixed my shift cable years ago. Might search for my post. I attach photos. The outside had melted from the exhaust. I overwrapped stainless wire to secure the housing strands, then slid rubber hose w/ sealant to stop transmission fluid leaks, and a short section of "fire sleeve" (fiberglass w/ silicone rubber) where the cable passes near the exhaust pipe.

original.jpg

over-wrap.JPG

final assembly.JPG

Awesome, thanks. Bill. Yes, I did pull it until it was about two inches out and then used a flathead to release the lock spring from the conical tip. I'll check out your post!

Assuming the transmission case is ok, the "O" ring on the end of the cable housing should be enough to seal it right there at the opening. If the oil is leaking out of a damaged cable housing, another way is to seal it using some liquid tool handle dip. You need to clean the housing real well first, and it's kind of a messy procedure. It might take a couple of dips to get it sealed properly. Otherwise, a replacement cable may be in your future.

Nevermind. I got it out! I just needed to pull it.

PO put a lot of sealant on it. Wonder if I should do the same when reinstalling it?

FYI. For future reference, my TSM shows inserting the screwdriver at the cable port as well.. which didn't work for me as it seemed to require way too much force.

Master's manuals suggest removing the neutral safety switch and going in from that end to avoid stressing the cable or rooster comb. That worked very well.

:thumbsup:

And @JoePowers if you haven't yet, pick up a Technical Service Manual. I have a reprint hard copy in the garage but there are electronic versions free to download

Yes @WV64Signet I just got the tech service manual. It's a great resource.

I accessed the lock spring through the cable well. It was easier than I had feared.

Now I need to adjust it properly because it doesn't shift well. Jerks real hard going into drive.

I accessed the lock spring through the cable well. It was easier than I had feared.

Now I need to adjust it properly because it doesn't shift well. Jerks real hard going into drive.

The Masters Manual provides a methodology for checking shift cable adjustment. Lemme see if I can find a shot of it. You need an "assistant" or you can build one

Here you go

You can also double check the external band adjustments with the transmission in the car.

20221018_214259.jpg

Awesome thanks @WV64Signet but mine is a floor shifter. I believe the pushbutton is slightly different in procedure. I need to hold firmly selector lever in low 1 position.

I'll try it out tomorrow after work.

I greatly appreciate your help!

16661456183478111313339729488860.jpg

Awesome thanks @WV64Signet but mine is a floor shifter. I believe the pushbutton is slightly different in procedure. I need to hold firmly selector lever in low 1 position.

I'll try it out tomorrow after work.

I greatly appreciate your help!

View attachment 1716000016

Ahh OK yeah this if pushbutton procedure..... but an example of something that's not in the TSM but came out later in the Masters Manuals

I just installed a new shift cable. The hard part was snaking it through the tight floor board area. The original cable housing deteriated next to the adjusting wheel assy. I tried all the fixes mentioned, which only work for a short while. Disconnecting the cable spring, in the tranny can be easy or hard depending on luck. I've released it on the first try and have worked for twenty minutes releasing it.

I put a hose clamp on the new rubber hose over the metal ferrule where the original hose terminates. I also put some auto trans sealant in there just to make sure no leaks.

Yeah it's a tight fit getting the cable snaking up to the shifter. I had to make sure not to get too close to the exhaust and throttle/kick down linkages. But mine works great and no leaks! Hopefully it'll hold! Time will tell.

-
Back