904 to A833 Neutral Safety Switch

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put the drivetrain from a 72 Duster 4 speed into a 68 Dart 270. The Dart had a 225 and 904 column shift. The 904 had a single pole neutral safety switch connected to the starter relay with a ring connector at the switch. The A833 has a two prong NSS. How do I make this connection?

On the 4 speed...is the NSS on the trans or on the clutch pedal? the two prongs might be for the back up lights only..

not entirely sure....

On the 833 4 speed it is not a NSS. The switch is strictly a back up light switch. There is no NSS on a 4 speed car. Your 68 back up lights are wired to a switch either on the steering column (column shift) or the automatic floor shifter. You should be able to run that wire the the switch on the transmission.

Later (72 and later?) Cars had a clutch interlock switch on the pedal mechanism, but not in 68 I believe.

my 70 Cuda has the NSS on the clutch pedal...

Thanks everyone. I took the switch off of my clutch pedal before installing it. So, if I re-install the switch do I just run the heavy brown wire from the starter relay to it? Or, I guess I can just eliminate the heavy brown wire an live without the clutch switch like they did in 68.

Thanks everyone. I took the switch off of my clutch pedal before installing it. So, if I re-install the switch do I just run the heavy brown wire from the starter relay to it? Or, I guess I can just eliminate the heavy brown wire an live without the clutch switch like they did in 68.

as long as you ground the G terminal on the Starter relay switch otherwise the starter will not engage....

Lordie. NO!!

Look at your starter relay. All early stick cars (before clutch switches in '70) had THREE terminals, and the relay coil was grounded by a big solder blob where the 4th terminal should be

All stick cars with clutch switches, and all automatic cars have a FOUR terminal starter relay.......two push ons and the big battery stud, and the square solenoid terminal.

One "push on" gets the yellow wire out of the bulkhead, which is your "start" signal from the ignition switch

The remaining push on terminal goes either to the NSS on the automatic, or to the clutch switch if used. If no clutch switch, just ground the second push on terminal.

The two terminals on the 4 speed are reverse lights, and 68? 69? later automatics ahve a 3 terminal NSS. The center pin is NSS, the two outer pins are reverse lights.

2444442_thumb.JPG

Big threaded stud is a battery junction point and one relay contact

Big "square" terminal runs down to the starter solenoid with a large gauge wire

Either of two "push on" terminals goes to the yellow "start"

Either ground the remaining "push on" or run it to your clutch switch.

My clutch pedal switch was non functional so I directly wired the NSS pole on the starter relay to the chassis with a good ground. Works great but just make sure that you either have the trans in neutral, have the clutch engaged, or both when starting the engine.

-
Back