904 Torqueflite hydraulic surgery

-

Duane

Reaction score
I tackled this project this week to implement a Tilton electric oil cooler pump to directly cool not just the oil in pan, but the oil in the converter while in the pits without the engine running if necessary.
I tapped 1/8 pipe threads directly into the converter charge passage on my tranzact brake valve body. A stainless check valve from McMaster Carr allows fluid flow in only one direction. The suction side line will draw fluid through the filter and the filter spacer
To the pump, back into the valve body, into the converter charge passage.
The hot converter oil will then exit out the stock exit to the remote trans cooler at the back of the car that also has an electric fan on it, back to the cool side in where it will cool all the components in the trans, and back to the sump.
When running the engine, the normal cooling circuit still functions normally using the same lines to the trans cooler and fan.
The check valve prevents a back flow to the electric pump circuit. The Teflon braided lines exit the pan through 6an fittings. Do I need this, hell if I know, I was bored lol. Pics at this link.
Transmission Cooler/Cooler lines

Last edited:
I tackled this project this week to implement a Tilton electric oil cooler pump to directly cool not just the oil in pan, but the oil in the converter while in the pits without the engine running if necessary.
I tapped 1/8 pipe threads directly into the converter charge passage on my tranzact brake valve body. A stainless check valve from McMaster Carr allows fluid flow in only one direction. The suction side line will draw fluid through the filter and the filter spacer
To the pump, back into the valve body, into the converter charge passage.
The hot converter oil will then exit out the stock exit to the remote trans cooler at the back of the car that also has an electric fan on it, back to the cool side in where it will cool all the components in the trans, and back to the sump.
When running the engine, the normal cooling circuit still functions normally using the same lines to the trans cooler and fan.
The check valve prevents a back flow to the electric pump circuit. The Teflon braided lines exit the pan through 6an fittings. Do I need this, hell if I know, I was bored lol. Pics at this link.
Transmission Cooler/Cooler lines
Decided to put some pics here as I was kinda hijacking the other thread.
Here are some pics of the finished project. Just need to determine where to mount the pump at a later date, and plumb the lines to the pan. Also added a second temp bung for racepak sensor or a thermostatic switch. I decided to use pipe thread 6an fitting for best leakproof assembly. I left enough slack in the lines to get the pan on and off for service. Hopefully it all works. Also added bung for a removeable stefs oil preheater.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

-
Back