904 trans cooler.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm going to AN line for my trans cooler and want to add a trans temp gauge.

What line is return, is it the front fitting or the rear fitting?

I figure I should read temp after the cooler correct?

Thank you.

I'm going to AN line for my trans cooler and want to add a trans temp gauge.

What line is return, is it the front fitting or the rear fitting?

I figure I should read temp after the cooler correct?

Thank you.
I would think right as it's coming out? Then you know how hot your clutches are? Of course that's just spitballing...

20170429_173031.jpg
:thumbsup: joy...

i have mine before cooler,if i recall its where autometer/gauge company stated to put it,so i see the hottest temp on the gauge,not sayin thats right but its what i did

Oh I know where to put it!.... just ask my woman..

So close.

Got the trans cooler mount built and welded in, cooler mounted. New AN lines made and fittings in. Exhaust in, trans in and tight, converter in and tight. Driveshaft in. Trans temp sensor plumbed, automatic trans cooler fan temp sensor in. Picked up trans fluid, new oil and ZDDP, oil filter.

Tomorrow is the day! (Hopefully...)

Wish me luck!

Oh I know where to put it!.... just ask my woman..

So close.

Got the trans cooler mount built and welded in, cooler mounted. New AN lines made and fittings in. Exhaust in, trans in and tight, converter in and tight. Driveshaft in. Trans temp sensor plumbed, automatic trans cooler fan temp sensor in. Picked up trans fluid, new oil and ZDDP, oil filter.

Tomorrow is the day! (Hopefully...)

Wish me luck!
Of course I wish you luck because you asked for it, but actually your attention to detail and skill I believe will be the big prevailer here...

I had forgotten how fun making AN lines is.. what a joy. I was telling my buddy I may as well just grab a hand full of needles and stab the piss out my self now and get it over with..

That front cooler line fitting is a ***** to get right, gonna try getting it tomorrow through my trans access hole from the top.

Also the fitting I ordered from summit for the trans temp sender didn't work, ended up with a less than sexy 3" stack of fitting to get the sender in. Gotta order a new fitting at some point.

You'd think out of the hundreds of dollars of AN fittings I've ordered in the last few months I'd have one but, NOPE...

Has anyone in the history of AN fittings actually ordered all the right fitting in one shot?

If you have your a better man than I.

lol i'll let you know over the next few weeks if the temp rises,i'm doing some replacement fuel lines and a shut off valve,parts are sitting in the house,i'm hoping i got all the stuff i need.

I had forgotten how fun making AN lines is.. what a joy. I was telling my buddy I may as well just grab a hand full of needles and stab the piss out my self now and get it over with..

That front cooler line fitting is a ***** to get right, gonna try getting it tomorrow through my trans access hole from the top.

Also the fitting I ordered from summit for the trans temp sender didn't work, ended up with a less than sexy 3" stack of fitting to get the sender in. Gotta order a new fitting at some point.

You'd think out of the hundreds of dollars of AN fittings I've ordered in the last few months I'd have one but, NOPE...

Has anyone in the history of AN fittings actually ordered all the right fitting in one shot?

If you have your a better man than I.
Any more testing??

Not yet, I've been working on the shop truck.
Y pipe dont match up to the new shorty headers, no amount of prying with a long bar would do it. So I went to cut the Y pipe and make it work. Well some genius welded the Y pipe mount on backwards so it will not come out. Also dam thing has about 6 feet of 3 inch exhaust that is STUCK on at the slip joint. Lots of lube and LOTS of beating with the big dead blow, some swearing, some Tacos off the truck and bottle of squirt right out the ice. (I actually thought of you as I grabbed it)

Out comes the death wheele, cut off mounting brackets, split pipe in the center and bolt it up. (Super fun by the way with one guy! Lining up the bolts, holding the flange and getting the nut on is almost superhuman)
Next tack weld brackets and new pipe location. Unbolt the entire mess and drag it over to the welding bench. Slap it on the bench and realise I only tack welded ONE side of the new slip joint so the other side moved when I set it on the bench.

More swearing now. Drag it back under the truck, more feets of superhuman bolt manipulation, tack the other side, back off, back to the bench, finish weld, back on the truck and my day was done.

Then when the women asks "how was your day?" As I'm covered in old dirt, soot and fury.
I just smile and say, "not bad love, how was yours?"

:)

Not yet, I've been working on the shop truck.
Y pipe dont match up to the new shorty headers, no amount of prying with a long bar would do it. So I went to cut the Y pipe and make it work. Well some genius welded the Y pipe mount on backwards so it will not come out. Also dam thing has about 6 feet of 3 inch exhaust that is STUCK on at the slip joint. Lots of lube and LOTS of beating with the big dead blow, some swearing, some Tacos off the truck and bottle of squirt right out the ice. (I actually thought of you as I grabbed it)

Out comes the death wheele, cut off mounting brackets, split pipe in the center and bolt it up. (Super fun by the way with one guy! Lining up the bolts, holding the flange and getting the nut on is almost superhuman)
Next tack weld brackets and new pipe location. Unbolt the entire mess and drag it over to the welding bench. Slap it on the bench and realise I only tack welded ONE side of the new slip joint so the other side moved when I set it on the bench.

More swearing now. Drag it back under the truck, more feets of superhuman bolt manipulation, tack the other side, back off, back to the bench, finish weld, back on the truck and my day was done.

Then when the women asks "how was your day?" As I'm covered in old dirt, soot and fury.
I just smile and say, "not bad love, how was yours?"

First off watch those Truck tacos they go down good, but they can be tricky coming back out! LOL "fusing with fire!!"
I found the customers oil leak in a 68 Pontiac pretty quickly. He says it wasn't sure if it was coming out of the front main seal or where the pan meets the timing cover? He started to get a little adamant about wanting to know which one and I laughed and said the timing cover needs to come off either way and he conceded. The bolts were so loose and the RTV was so minimal that it wasn't very hard job and it was quite easy to see where it was leaking. Like all amateurs no extra in the corners and guess where the problem was....
IMG_20190312_173003.jpg

First I had to get it running first for the first time in God knows how many years? It wouldn't run out of the gas tank which I assumed the lines are plugged with 5 year old cheap ethanol gas. When I did get it running out of a 1 gallon gas can LOL it only took 30 seconds for the oil to start gushing out...

Give the 81 year old man a lot of credit that I work for though. He's on his way up to Seattle to get four sets of Pontiac heads and a dual quad Pontiac setup. I called my dad (72) and he's reading a book..

If I was 72 years young I sure as hell wouldn't be awake at 5 AM.

I'd be snoring like a buzzsaw.

Or is he reading a book now cuz you called and woke him up?

If I was 72 years young I sure as hell wouldn't be awake at 5 AM.

I'd be snoring like a buzzsaw.

Or is he reading a book now cuz you called and woke him up?

Oh no he definitely sleeps in! LOL I can't call him till after 9 or 10 a. M.!!
I was working on the car in between hail storms yesterday and that's when I called my dad. It's on the trailer out front of my house. I uncharacteristically brought the car home as the old man that I work for his tools and set up this so scattered I can't even think straight...

Sometimes I do work for a friend of mines shop and I wont even bother with his tools. I just wheel my cart over. I hate looking for tools...

Sometimes I do work for a friend of mines shop and I wont even bother with his tools. I just wheel my cart over. I hate looking for tools...
LOL...I have a buddy like that. He probably has 3 times as many tools as I do but ask him for something and it may take 10-15 minutes to find it

-
Back